Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

Goodbye wuapp.exe!

Hey Y'all,

Working through testing my setup in Win 10 I ran across the fact that my shortcut to Win Update %windir%\system32\wuapp.exe startmenu no longer works.

A quick search shows that the program file no longer exists. I did a search in System32 and found these 4 files:
    WUFDHost.exe
    wuapihost.exe
    wuauclt.exe
    wusa.exe

None of which will bring up the WU interface, in fact only wusa.exe provided any kind of feedback in the form of a man page type popup window. BTW wusa = Windows Update Standalone Installer.

A little conjecture here but it looks to me like a lot of our time honored shortcuts may no longer work in Win 10.

Also, typing Windows Update into the search box only gets you a link to a FAQ about windows update in Win 10.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RG - ditto. I think you have to do this now through Settings / Update & Security / Windows Update, but this doesn't seem to offer the option of a desktop shortcut as in previous versions.

However, all the other shortcuts that I had set, Programs & Features, Administrative Tools, Device Manager, Device & Printers were all still there.

Yours, another Retired Guy!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    At Settings, you can right-click Update & Security and pin that to the start menu. That's what I use as it goes to Windows Update.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    At Settings, you can right-click Update & Security and pin that to the start menu. That's what I use as it goes to Windows Update.
    Bruce,

Thanks that works. But, I'm still a little miffed at MS for taking away direct access to stuff. You can't right click that link and find where it points as you used to do by selecting properties. I also don't like the whole tiles thing (personal preference) and I'm trying to banish them from my start but I'm of course having a problem doing that.
    Right-Click Security&Update:
    security&update.JPG

Right-Click PowerShell ISE
    powershellise.JPG

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Now where is that brick wall my head is waiting for ???
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just right-click on the notifications icon in the tray, Open Actions Center and click All Settings, then click the update box. A little more work then a single click, but I don't need to check for updates that often. lol