Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Windows 10 Backup and Restore

Hi All,

Just upgraded to 10 from 7 on my Dell Desktop (10 years old). I used to do a system image every night under 7 and I see that option is the same in 10 (I know there are other ways to recover in 10). I did a couple of system images under 10, created a repair disk under 10 and booted from the repair disk. The disk takes me to a screen that says choose your keyboard BUT I have no mouse or keyboard control to choose a keyboard. I waited a long time on that screen but nothing changed so I can't do a recovery from a system image under win 10. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for any help,

Steve

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Is the keyboard & mouse USB or wireless?

Joe

Thanks
    Both wireless

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wires required

Seems you need a wired keyboard AND a wired mouse for that.

I had similar problems about 8 to 10 years ago. It's a BIOS issue.
    The BIOS of your machine can not handle USB connected mice or keyboards.

Start into your BIOS with your current setup, it will likely not allow you to navigate.

I have an old Dell XPS Studio box with exactly this "problem" so I always keep wired keyboard/mouse around.

Good luck.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve1209 View Post
    Both wireless
    You might try looking for a 'USE Lagacy USB' setting in your BIOS. In general use a USB 2 port for M/KB not USB 3.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the input. I tried with a wired mouse (don't have a wired keyboard today but will borrow one to test) and removing the USB keyboard and using the wired mouse but I got the same results. I wouldn't even begin to know how to mess with my BIOS, I'm not that intuitive. I am going to try something later when I get a chance, start my Win 10 system from my Win 7 recovery disk because that always worked and the Win 10 Back-up is just the Win 7 back-up brought back to life, the Win 7 recovery disk always worked... If anyone has more info on the BIOS change or another idea, I'll try anything and again thanks for the help so far!

Thanks
    Take a peek and see what is there. Just remember what you change.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    wavy,

Can you explain how to "Take a Peek", I have no idea how to do that on my Dell desktop?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BIOS - Explained

Dell usually gets you into the BIOS with F2.

That means that you have to press F2 repeatedly right from the moment you tun the power on, until you see a text "Entering Setup" or similar, mostly in the bottom left corner of the screen.

There are several different ways to operate a BIOS. The basics are very similar over all different types of BIOS, just the optics and the handling are different. Once you have a wired keyboard attached use the arrow keys for screen to screen and in screen navigation, that's about the only general advice I dare to give because of the big differences in appearance and layout.

Don't be afraid of the BIOS, just be careful not to change setting you don't fully understand.

Here are two articles that might shed some light into the darkness:

1. tom's Hardware: BIOS for Beginners

2. Maximum PC: Ultimate BIOS Guide: Every Setting ....

These articles are quite old; I link them here in case you are interested in losing some of your "BIOS angst". It really is NOT black magic. And I know very well that your BIOS will LOOK very different, but again, that is looks only. And the articles I link you to here are not as intimidating as they may appear.

BUT, HERE IT COMES:
    I believe that you do not even need to "take a peek" into the BIOS. Not only Dell machines had the issue with wireless vs. wired mice/keyboard that I alluded to in my previous post.

Just "wire up" and try your Restore CD, you might be surprised, pleasantly that is.

Good luck.
    Last edited by eikelein; 2015-08-04 at 05:59. Reason: Added a paragraph
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Thanks
    Steve
    If you give us the model # ( or that specific number Dell uses to ID a specific unit, can't recall what it is called) we can take a look at the manual.

FYI most Bioses have a 'reset to safe defaults' type option.

David

Thanks
    Hi David & Eike,

I have a Dell Dimension 9100 and I got into the BIOS as was described but as also mentioned I didn't change anything BECAUSE "I didn't fully understand anything I might change" I also have a little more info today from a friend, that there are other Backup products that use a Linux based disk systems to restore and that might go around the Windows BIOS thing, I still didn't get a wired keyboard. Does anyone know a RELIABLE Windows back-up system for Win 10 that uses a Linux Recovery disk instead of Windows recovery disk?

Thanks
    Macrium Reflect has both a windows pe and a linux based restore.

FWIW I have found that some times moving the mouse while booting can help the os recognize it.

I would have tried the upgrade test http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...n-9100/manuals before upgrading
    Last edited by wavy; 2015-08-04 at 19:31.
    David

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

Steve1209 (2015-08-05)

Thanks
    I saw no likely candidates is the manual. sorry
    David

Thanks
    Hi guys,

Just a quick update. I got a linux based boot disk to boot properly. Dave, thanks for your help/suggestions. I looked around and decided to try EaseUS Todo backup. One because it creates both a Linux Recovery disk and a WinPE recovery disk. Two it was totally free which is basically why I was using the Windows System Image. This is a nice upgrade, it does incremental copies and only keeps a set number of copies (your choice) unlike the windows software.

Thanks all for the assist,

Steve

Thanks
    David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast