3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 and retaining win7

I have a Win7 desktop which I would like to keep as a second or backup machine. I plan to buy a new desktop but it appears dealers want to charge me for Win 10. Is there any way I can use my existing Win7 machine to get a CD to install Win 10 on the new machine?
    David P - The Truth Is In Redmond

Thanks
    Is there any way I can use my existing Win7 machine to get a CD to install Win 10 on the new machine?
    No, you have to have an existing valid license key to upgrade. Unless I misunderstand your question.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I do have a valid license key on my old machine - but I want to keep it as Win 7. I seem to remember that once you have upgraded, you can download an ISO file to do a full new installation? If true, I could backup and upgrade the old machine, then use the ISO file to install on the new one, then restore the old one from backup

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpollock View Post
    Yes I do have a valid license key on my old machine - but I want to keep it as Win 7. I seem to remember that once you have upgraded, you can download an ISO file to do a full new installation? If true, I could backup and upgrade the old machine, then use the ISO file to install on the new one, then restore the old one from backup
    That's in conflict with the EULA. The OS that is upgraded (your Win 7) is no longer licensed; it's license is superseded by the upgrade license (Win 10). You will have only one license, and that will be for Windows 10, if you choose the upgrade path.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I seem to remember that once you have upgraded, you can download an ISO file to do a full new installation?
    Yes you can D/L an ISO of win 10. You can use it to "Upgrade" other computers that qualify. If I understand you correctly, you want to upgrade your old win 7 machine to win 10, then use that license key to update a new computer to win 10.
    If you do that, you will never be able to activate one of them. 1 license=1upgrade

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Yes you can D/L an ISO of win 10. You can use it to "Upgrade" other computers that qualify.
    That really has nothing to do with the OP's issue. Upgrading the existing Win7 installation and using the same upgrade on another PC is not what the OP has asked about. The OP clearly says he wants to obtain a Win10 upgrade but, instead of upgrading the existing Win7 PC, use it for installing Windows a PC that doesn't qualify for the upgrade. That is a violation of the EULA.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So! ! It seems I need to buy a full Win 10 for the new machine? Where can I find pricing and version options?

Thanks
    So! ! It seems I need to buy a full Win 10 for the new machine? Where can I find pricing and version options?
    Since you say you're going to buy a new machine with Windows 10 installed, I would suggest your favorite search engine. Pre-loaded Windows 10 on OEM machines should start appearing very soon, now.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    No buyer beware but Ebay has W7 for sale. I just ordered a W7 Ultimate in box for $99. I will post an update when I try to upgrade my W7 HP box.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.