Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Banned Member
    Thanks

Talking Quick and flawless upgrade

Absolutely flawless, seamless, Upgrade to Windows 10 that really did not take very long, @ all... no issues & everything is there & works perfectly. 10 on a SSD sure is QUICK! Faster than it (the betas) is on the HHD. As for boot time... can't blink that fast.

Thanks
    That's great Drew
    Many others haven't been so fortunate.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Drew.
    Here in the boonies, my two machines experienced the same seamless update to Windows 10 Pro. All is running as before. I still wonder why some others have had problems ? I have another 4 machines back home to update when I get back. No SSD here but the machines are snappy enough.

All best wishes. Jean.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    That's great Drew
    Many others haven't been so fortunate.
    I guess. Anyone I keep regular contact w/, talk w/ almost daily, have had the same experience as myself. Just problem-free & enjoying 10.

1 Check for Updates. Henceforth don't have to give that a thought, anymore.

Windows DVD Player showed up almost immediately, too. (Since, I had WMC w/ my 8.1)

I & others, just created ISO, burnt DVD & whoosh > Win10. Oh, had to do 1 reboot for the display res to come right, immediately after install completed. That's was it.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Feel free to respond but, personally, I have had a hunch & still, feel that as people get on Win10, more than just the 5 million Insiders, there will be a huge number & a huge majority saying, "painless, smooth, easy, quick and really impressed w/ & liking Windows 10".

And from an IT Pro perspective... about 1 hr (maybe) and an OS has been FULLY converted from one core, 1 platform to another AND it's FULLY YOU AND you had to do almost absolutely nothing to have it completely setup & ready to use. Bizarre, refreshing & wonderful.

I heard there were 63 million Upgrades in 72 hrs averaging 250 installs per second... 14 mil in the 1st day.

And, damn, the thing works well!!

Went from 8.1 w/ WMC & almost immediately there was a Windows DVD Player. I'm sorry ( in respect to the naysayers) but, it's just easy, smart & enjoyable. And quick including, boot time... Holy Cr@p!! Even way more than the beta on a HDD.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    I guess. Anyone I keep regular contact w/, talk w/ almost daily, have had the same experience as myself. Just problem-free & enjoying 10.
    Well of course, it would have been quite surprising to hear a report to the contrary. Hopefully tranquillity will prevail after one of the most spurned OSes in history. Personally I think I'll come back in a couple months and try again...the OS seems to be functioning well but I have many (more than half of my major programs) that don't seem compatible yet as far as an upgrade goes and they are not that old (W7 era and later). Looks like from my experience and those I'm reading that it's going to take a couple months for third party vendors of real programs to zero in on the changes they need to make.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Got back from vacation and Windows 10 was ready to install on my HP ENVY Recline. One hour later I was back up and running. Truly painless. Everything just worked. Now I wait for my laptop to tell me it is ready for the install. Guess I'll have to leave it running for a while so the upgrade can download in the background.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Maybe but, seems not much doesn't work on 10 & most anything that works w/ 7 or 8.1 works on 10. Everyone I have spoken w/ finds compatibility is not an issue w/ Windows 10. Most 3rd Parties should be up to speed... they've had lots of time knowing Win10 was coming.

Oh, no worries there, Win10 will be liked a lot more than 8.1 was.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi,

If you grow weary of waiting & it seems like a really long time, burn the ISO to a DVD & just install the Upgrade from that. You do it from w/in the OS about to be Upgraded. And your experience on the HP Envy is what I had, my friends had & what countless others are reporting. In the past was not like this. Windows 10 Platform has brought some nice changes, improvements over the past. A Zero-touch deployment of an OS in an hour or less. Short time ago, nobody would believe it. And nothing having to do a whole pile of stuff after the install is 'complete'... that's sure different, too. Different & nicer!
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-08-03 at 06:04.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Personally I think I'll come back in a couple months and try again...the OS seems to be functioning well but I have many (more than half of my major programs) that don't seem compatible yet as far as an upgrade goes and they are not that old (W7 era and later).
    FUN, is it possible for you to list these programs as I would like to check if I have any before I take the great leap into the unknown, well to W10.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    FUN, is it possible for you to list these programs as I would like to check if I have any before I take the great leap into the unknown, well to W10.
    I'd like to know, as well... so can info others. Plus eventually there will only be Win 10 & then whatever will happen w/ these things that don't/won't work on it.

So far have heard people surprised @ what all does work on Windows 10. Seems the 'compatibility factor' w/ Win10 is of a fairly high magnitude.

Thanks
    Whilst know that I have no right to expect Microsoft Money to work with Win 10 (since MS discontinued support for Money quite some time ago), I have until the arrival of Win 10, used Money with Windows 8.1 without any problems. It's a real disappointment to find that one of the Windows 8.1-compatible programs that is NOT compatible with Win 10 is the very one I need the most (having financial data that extends back to 1994!!!) My (current) work-around is to run Money from within Win 7 in a Virtual Machine under Windows 10. Pity!
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can I join in here as one of the disgruntled ones

My graphics wasn't quite compatible as the Aero button was just about reachable.

Cortana told me that it didn't support my region or language even though it clearly shows UK and English UK.

It couldn't find the path to create a repair disk and blocked a system image back to Win 7 because it wasn't the same architecture - of course it wasn't !

Oh yeah - and it ignored F2 and F12 on my machine, but it won't be causing me any more problems for a while as I'm now back to Win 7.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-03 at 10:44.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    If I had to make an educated guess, I would say leaving the Stardock software installed could very well be a major culprit even though I've supposedly unloaded it, it may still be caught up in the new growth so to speak. It's the likes of Corel PSP X4 and Pinnacle Studio 16 that won't start no matter the compatibility or admin permission but PSP at least is known to hiccup in some instances when older versions (sometimes even current) of Windowblinds are present but unloading the theme usually solves it.

Since nearly all the Stardock software is not W10 ready, GBridge was hosed (and I don't feel like reconfiguring it), Classic Shell current version is not fully functional and the installation of Live Mail has apparently messed with taskbar function via a poorly performing notifier (killing live mail via task manager makes it work again)...stuff isn't quite there yet for me so I'm shelving it. I don't have a lot installed because I hardly ever used 8.1 after the testing periods so it makes it look like a significant amount is not functioning correctly.

Like I said, the OS itself seems fine though it may turn out to be quite the busybody judging by activity in the task manager, if I stick some other anti virus on the system will Defender shut down and stop nosing around all the time with it's Antimalware Service Executable?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    "if I stick some other anti virus on the system will Defender shut down"

Yes.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast