Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    2 Star Lounger Odos270's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Question Custom icons for Recycle Bin, need help badly

    Had real issues with this box. Couldn't fix myself, had to go to the shop.

    I've hit a small snag. What I'm trying to do (have done so in the past) is use custom icons for my Recycle Bin. Because the default Windows icons are nuggin' fugly. I want to use a blank icon for when the Bin is empty and a full moon icon when there's something in it.

    If you don't do a couple things in the registry (by running regedit) the icons don't work. The icons will not change. Either you get the blank icon, or the full moon icon. Not both.

    Anyhow, you have to navigate to certain values in the registry and change 2. on 1 it's a comma, a space and a 0. The other 1 is done the same with the exception that it's a 1.

    I've done it before, both on XP and this box, 8.1 . Problem is I, lost the text file I had that explained everything in detail. I can't remember which keys to modify. I've posted to a couple Windows forums, and got 1 response. Guy said I had to build a .dll (pronounced like dill) file. Uh excuse me, doing it the way I want to, takes about 2 minutes. Not hours in a program to build that .dll

    Plus, the shape my brain is right now, it would be like learning to speak Russian. Ain't going to happen.

    So, if anyone understands what I'm trying to do, please speak up. If not, perhaps you might know someone or somewhere that I can find the instructions. Please don't say "Google it". I have, and I get mountains of crap that I'm not even looking for. That's why Google pisses me off at times.

    TIA

  2. #2
    WS Lounge VIP Coochin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    2,154
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 307 Times in 267 Posts
    RecycleIcon.jpg

    RecycleIcon_1.jpg

    Don't have Win8.1 but it should be much the same as in Win7.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

  3. #3
    New Lounger Payton_Place's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Odos270 View Post
    Please don't say "Google it". I have, and I get mountains of crap that I'm not even looking for. That's why Google pisses me off at times.

    TIA
    I can totaly dig what you are saying. But with just a little bit of learning how to make just about any search engine narrow in on what you really want to see as a search result you will be more than pleasantly surprised with the results.

    First, I suggest you try using an engine that less commercially result oriented.

    https://duckduckgo.com/?t=

    Secondly, there exist controls within the functionality of many search engines, which you can use to fine tune your search results. They are called "Boolean Operators".

    My search in DuckDuckGo for "Boolean Operators" yielded these results:

    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=duckduckgo...n+operators&t=

    Please do not let these syntax seem confusing. By using just the "+" operator, the "-" operator, and placing search terms that contain more than one word inside quotation marks will cast away so much in the way of superfluous hits you will be amazed.

    Regards, -PP-

    <|>
    Last edited by Payton_Place; 2015-08-03 at 07:21. Reason: Loose nut behind the keyboard.

  4. #4
    2 Star Lounger Odos270's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    RecycleIcon.jpg

    RecycleIcon_1.jpg

    Don't have Win8.1 but it should be much the same as in Win7.
    Uh, that's what I did. It no work.

  5. #5
    2 Star Lounger Odos270's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Payton_Place View Post
    I can totaly dig what you are saying. But with just a little bit of learning how to make just about any search engine narrow in on what you really want to see as a search result you will be more than pleasantly surprised with the results.

    First, I suggest you try using an engine that less commercially result oriented.

    https://duckduckgo.com/?t=

    Secondly, there exist controls within the functionality of many search engines, which you can use to fine tune your search results. They are called "Boolean Operators".

    My search in DuckDuckGo for "Boolean Operators" yielded these results:

    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=duckduckgo...n+operators&t=

    Please do not let these syntax seem confusing. By using just the "+" operator, the "-" operator, and placing search terms that contain more than one word inside quotation marks will cast away so much in the way of superfluous hits you will be amazed.

    Regards, -PP-

    <|>
    Well, I'm not to sure about Boolean, but know that " " is an exact phrase match and that -word is to weed out things you don't want.

    And what gets me, is that you search, have 1.2 million hits. Then add the - and you wind up with 1.6 million hits. WTF is up with that?

  6. #6
    Silver Lounger wavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    2,378
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 147 Times in 136 Posts
    I use this, it does most of that. It can be hard to find from google.com

    http://www.google.com/advanced_searc...F-8&as_qdr=all
    David

    Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

  7. #7
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    820
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 62 Times in 57 Posts
    Try Icon Lover for icon creation and management. I haven't provided a link because it's all over the map, it may or may not be free, and I think I got my copy from Giveaway of the Day.

    Copernic Agent has been discontinued, but it appears that you can still download it free, and I think you should be able to insert your own choices of search engines to give yourself a meta search program. I think I'll shop around for up-to-date meta search stuff myself, come to think of it.

  8. #8
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    820
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 62 Times in 57 Posts
    Icon Wanted is one of probably a million sites for free icons. I haven't checked them for quality.

  9. #9
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hampshire (the old one)
    Posts
    525
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 72 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    I use this, it does most of that. It can be hard to find from google.com

    http://www.google.com/advanced_searc...F-8&as_qdr=all
    I just Googled Google advanced search and up it came.

    Edit: just noticed, on any search result page, click the gear icon.

    I also Googled good search engine and Google wasn't on the first page
    Last edited by tonyl; 2015-08-18 at 11:59. Reason: new evidence

  10. #10
    Silver Lounger wavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    2,378
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 147 Times in 136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    I just Googled Google advanced search and up it came.

    Edit: just noticed, on any search result page, click the gear icon.

    I also Googled good search engine and Google wasn't on the first page
    Yeah one less thing for the euros to slam, if you are already there whats the dif??

    David

    Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •