Star Lounger
    Thanks

Product Keys Rejected by upgrade process

Hello,
    I have a nearly four year old W520 Thinkpad which came with Win 7 Pro installed - and I have kept it up to date. Some time ago I ran the Win 10 reservation process successfully.
    Having "reserved" but not received Win 10 and feeling impatient, I ran the download option described in another post and chose upgrade in place. It appeared to retrieve the package correctly and then asked for my product key. I entered each of the following different keys but all were rejected:
    - the Windows 7 Professional key as stated by the latest version of SIW Pro (a useful system information tool)
    - the key as indicated on the sticker inside the battery slot
    - the "Windows default product key" as reported by SIW
    These are all different and were all rejected.

Several puzzles:
    1. Why does the Win 10 update ask me for the key? Surely it can see it on the system?
    2. Why do I appear to have these two or three different keys !!?
    3. What is the "default product key" reported by SIW?
    4. Any idea why the keys are being rejected?

5. Do I now just wait for the reservation process to send me a copy?

Thanks.
    David

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The reported default key is the vendor's generic key and while it would activate a repair or custom install of Win 7, going Start and typing and entering activate windows will report it as an invalid key.

Win 10 is supposed to accept the COA sticker key when doing the Upgrade option, so I don't know why it wouldn't accept that - perhaps a typo ?

The OEM key that is probably also listed in the program that you use which has numbers either side of letters wouldn't be used and for me is a misnomer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Click Skip on the product key screen (which will only accept a Windows 10 key):

Just don’t enter a product key—Microsoft won’t give you one and you won’t need it either—and Windows 10 will simply activate automatically when the install is done.
    Windows 10 Tip: Associate Your PC with Your Free Windows 10 License

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Sudo15: I have again checked that I read the small print on the sticker correctly (in daylight this time) and typed it again. Still no good.
    Thanks, BruceR: This route does not allow me to proceed without entering the key. Skip is not available.
    The only option may be to create bootable media, but I have read of other difficulties with that approach.

Thinking further: Control panel, System reports Windows is activated and lists the OEM product id.
    When this machine was new I installed an SSD to function as C: and put Windows on it, leaving the original spinning disk as D: for data plus all the original Lenovo stuff. I also upped the RAM to 16GB. There was no objection to those config changes at the time.
    Is this problem now a late reaction to those changes?

David

Thanks
    When upgrading to Windows 10 DO NOT ENTER A PRODUCT KEY, REPEAT DO NOT ENTER A PRODUCT KEY!!!