3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Driver will not load

I am using an HP Envy laptop, Win 7 Pro, a 250GB SSD, 16GB RAM, and until a couple of days ago a Wacom drawing tablet. Two days ago I was working on some images in Photoshop CS 6, not massive files, just 6MB. The first one I tried save took a ridiculously long time, maybe a minute. I thought PS had frozen, but just as I started Task Manager the save completed and I reckoned that it was just one of those things. When I tried to save second image the laptop froze, totally, not even Task Manager could sort it out and I had to resort to the power switch. When I rebooted everything seemed normal except the drawing tablet wasn't working. (There is an LED on the tablet which lights up when it's touched by the pen, this was happening, but the cursor did not follow the pen movement.) Well I've had problems galore with this unenviable HP, it only starts programs that it wants to start at boot-up whether they're in the Start folder or the Registry they're just ignored. And one of the things that it used to ignore more often than not was the tablet driver, it got to the point that I had the set-up file on the Desktop so that I could just double-click it. So that's what I did this time. The installation only takes seconds, and it ends with "The pen driver was successfully installed". This time I got the same message, but no pen.

I tried running the set-up as Administrator. No difference. I shut down, did a "hard reset", tried again. Same success message, no difference.

I tried System Restore. That seemed to go well, but at re-boot it said "The restore failed. No files have been changed." Tried another restore point. No difference, failed again. I trawled through Windows Secrets, found a post from someone who had the same problem, the answer was to restore from Safe Mode. That didn't work either. Then I saw another post saying that the AV program might get in the way. Stopped that and tried again. That failed too. I wondered if my copy of the driver set-up file might be corrupt, so I downloaded a fresh copy, no difference.

If I look in Control Panel > Wacom I get a pop-up saying "Driver not found." I am baffled. So the question is: if the driver installation program runs without any warnings what can prevent a driver being installed?

David.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You may have a hard disk problem. Try this:
    Open a Command Prompt.
    Type: chkdsk C:
    If you get a message showing problems found, type: chkdsk C: /f
    This will attempt to fix the problems.
    After that you can run a Windows file repair, type: sfc /scannow

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul,

chkdsk completed in seconds with no warnings. Just to be sure to be sure I ran sfc scannow, no problems either. I ran the Wacom driver setup again, more in hope than expectation. In Control Panel I still get "Tablet driver was not found". So the mystery deepens.

David