New Lounger
    Thanks

TV not working on DVI output

Hi guys. Please help me here.

Im trying to connect my Dell 755 pc monitor (via DVI) to my LCD TV Sharp Aquos LC32P50E (via HDMI). DVD to HDMI cable.
    Ive plugged in my cable and i just get a blank screen. Ive messed with the display settings but to no avail.

In display settings on PC. It shows 1. DEL 1908FPBLK (assuming this is the monitor) but shouldnt it also show my TV?

Its not detecting the TV at all. Blank screen. Im totally lost. Im using Windows 7 with 4gb ram.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by totalnovice View Post
    Hi guys. Please help me here.

Im trying to connect my Dell 755 pc monitor (via DVI) to my LCD TV Sharp Aquos LC32P50E (via HDMI). DVD to HDMI cable.
    Ive plugged in my cable and i just get a blank screen. Ive messed with the display settings but to no avail.

In display settings on PC. It shows 1. DEL 1908FPBLK (assuming this is the monitor) but shouldnt it also show my TV?

Its not detecting the TV at all. Blank screen. Im totally lost. Im using Windows 7 with 4gb ram.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers
    I would be surprised if the monitor could function as an output device. You will need to connect the TV to your PC directly.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Cheers for the reply. However Why have a DVI port on the monitor if it doesnt output? input maybe? On the pc itself. theres a paralell port, seriel port VGA port and a bunch of USBs. Im guessing these are useless for output to a tv

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    What model is the monitor? The DVI port on the monitor is for input.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    T.N.,

Check the Aquos for a VGA port, my Samsung TV has one.
    If it has one all you have to do is hook a VGA cable from the computer to the TV make sure you've selected the proper Source via the TV remote and if your computer is a laptop make sure you select either the duplicate or external monitor function via the keyboard using the FN key and associated function key.

If you don't have a VGA on the Aquos then a VGA to HDMI converter is in your future.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    `What model is the monitor? The DVI port on the monitor is for input.`

Joe

Cheers Joe. This looks like the case now. Seems stupid to me. If we are going by the ports on the back of the desktop pc then the VGA port looks like my only option. No VGA port on my TV so a VGA to HDMI looks the only way. OMG. What a pain this has been !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by totalnovice View Post
    `What model is the monitor? The DVI port on the monitor is for input.`

Joe

Cheers Joe. This looks like the case now. Seems stupid to me. If we are going by the ports on the back of the desktop pc then the VGA port looks like my only option. No VGA port on my TV so a VGA to HDMI looks the only way. OMG. What a pain this has been !
    You are not done yet!

Be careful of what adapter you buy, The VGA side has to connect to the output of your PC and the HDMI to the input of your TV AND the TV has to be capable of receiving an Analog signal thru that HDMI port.

I have an EDIT DVI VGA to HDMI cable (from my Raspberry Pi to my monitor) that works in just the opposite sense as what you would need.
    Last edited by wavy; 2015-08-10 at 15:01. Reason: vga to dvi
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Cheers for all your help chaps. As a final effort on this i have just bought a VGA to HDMI converter on an auction site. If this doesnt work i quit.

cheers