New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Best AV/firewall for Win10?

Might be better posted in Networking, but since my question is specifically in relation to Win10, I thought I'd ask it here.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a 3rd-party firewall, antivirus, or both that - in particular - plays well with Windows 10 and apps that need to check in to Xbox? (Comodo doesn't, and it's what I've used for years on Win7. I'm mostly okay right now with Windows Firewall and Defender, given my other layers, but I'm not confident with just those on the box)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I was using Avira Free Antivirus on 8.1 and it continued after the upgrade. Seems to be fine, updates and scans working as they did before. One of the geek review sites that I explored gave top marks. You get the occasional popup box in the bottom right corner with the free version but the X is prominent enough for quick removal.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh yeah, Defender disengages itself if another antivirus program is installed. Neat trick!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Also, it's working alongside Windows Firewall. KISS principle. I'm assuming previous WS assessments of Windows Firewall as good enough still hold true.

Thanks
    Well, in my opinion trying to determine the "Best" is like watching a bunch of kids play king of hill as one kid will make it to the top but there's always someone ready to knock him off.

What's Best? Here's a recent article from PC Magazine The Best Antivirus for 2015 http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp which said.....

"Which antivirus should you choose? Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus (2015) is the tiniest antivirus around, though its unusual detection technique doesn't jibe with some lab tests. The independent labs uniformly heap praise on Kaspersky Anti-Virus (2015). Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2015 also gets plenty of love from the labs, and in AutoPilot mode it stays out of your way. We've named these three Editors' Choice for commercial antivirus, but they're not the only products worth consideration. Read the reviews of our top-rated products, then make your own decision".

That being said I personally use Norton Internet Security which was recently updated right before the Win 10 rollout and it has Antivirus, Antispam and Firewall. Why do I stick with Norton? Because they are consistently always at or near the top with their protection and I got kind of tired with trying to keep up with whose king of the hill and switching every time there a change. Lots of folks out there don't like Norton as they use to be a resource hog but competition has forced them to improve their product so I wouldn't rule them out.

Note that the PC Magazine article did have some links to some of the AV rating services. If you're really into wanting to track the "Best of the Best" then visit those sites and read some of their stuff on how they tested and what their results are.

Thanks
    Note that whatever you use now, there's a high % chance that you'll need to update to 'next years' version/engine within a couple of months, August/September being the 'traditional' time for upgraded versions of AVs.

Combine that with the number of changes that W10 will likely go through during that time period and I'd suggest that you might be better to delay switching from default W10 protection (plus additional/second opinion - not replacement - protection from the likes of Malwarebytes) until things have settled down, November might be a good time to begin your research, I think there's a big W10 update scheduled then.

Thanks
    @Moondooggy451: Yes, I am using the latest version of Norton Internet Security (and also Identity Safe) and both work just fine with my Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) setup. I note, however, that "autoprotect" is "locked on" presently, with a note to users that "this setting cannot be changed due to a pending remedial situation") (I have never needed to turn off autoprotect, so this present situation does not bother me. Either way, the sofware is fully functional under Windows 10). By the way, Identity Safe works fine with Internet Exlorer as well as Firefox under Windows 10, but does NOT work with Edge (yet)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using Comodo for firewall and it seems to be working fine. I was using it before the upgrade, after the upgrade it wouldn't work until I downloaded the most recent version, but otherwise no particular issues that I've noticed so far. I was running 64-bit Win7 Ultimate before, now running 64-bit Win10 Pro.

For antivirus I use eSet, which again needed an update before it would work correctly, but otherwise no problems noticed so far.