New Lounger
    Thanks

win-10 re-install

Presently my PC has win-10 build 10240 installed & is working Ok.

However I propose to install the new skylake motherboard, CPU & DDR4 RAM in the next 2 weeks' time.
    Obviously that means I'll have to re-install win-10. How do I do it??
    1st option: Can I install build 10130 afresh & then upgrade to 10240 -- OR ---
    2nd option: Using new migration tool download the full 4GB file afresh & then install.

My personal understanding / feel is 1st option will be better but don't know if the 10130 build will install / what about its expiry date, etc. 2nd option is not easy as my boot SSD will be totally Blank after hardware is fully changed. I may not be aware but there could be some other process as well.

Request all my friends on windowssecrets to pls help me out by giving a quick solution / reply to me. Sure someone would have done similar activity & their experience will help me be better prepared in the matter. Thanks in advance.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I couldn't get updated to 10240. Eventually I reformatted the hdd, installed a previous preview build - 10079, then installed the new update (pre-downloaded and converted to USB boot ISO) and entered the key when asked. That was accepted. That took over 2.5 hours, so have fun.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by irjc View Post
    I couldn't get updated to 10240. Eventually I reformatted the hdd, installed a previous preview build - 10079, then installed the new update (pre-downloaded and converted to USB boot ISO) and entered the key when asked. That was accepted. That took over 2.5 hours, so have fun.
    r u talking about the latest file using migration tool or its some other .iso file pl clarify
    As i understand it you downloaded the 4GB file, copied it to a USB drive & did the install. hv I understood it correctly??
    in the past did u hv win8 & u entered its key & it was accepted in win-10 without probs? pl clearly tell me if i've understood u correctly. Thanks for your reply

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vchinoy@gmail.com View Post
    r u talking about the latest file using migration tool or its some other .iso file pl clarify
    As i understand it you downloaded the 4GB file, copied it to a USB drive & did the install. hv I understood it correctly??
    Yes, so RTM was installed to a clean formatted hdd.

Quote Originally Posted by vchinoy@gmail.com View Post
    in the past did u hv win8 & u entered its key & it was accepted in win-10 without probs? pl clearly tell me if i've understood u correctly. Thanks for your reply
    Was running XP, so originally installed win 10 to a different hdd and dual booted for the first few months of this year - I got the TP early in its lifespan. When the above happened, I only had my win10 drive operating, as I'd disconnected the XP drive to see if I could exist with win10 by itself. So I was only using the various upgrades from build 99xx through to 10240.

On the 29th July when MS pushed the final upgrade my problems began. However I've discussed this on a local discussion thread and many people haven't had my experience, whereas many have. So it seems like rolling the dice and holding your breath.

Updating during the beta phase didn't cause any trouble - only this final upgrade, (except for my NVIDIA Geforce 610, which kept crashing and crashing and crashing - often four or five times an hour - throughout all builds. Since the final upgrade, I'm only getting three or four per day.

But I'm also experiencing unexplained lockups since updating to 10240. 2/3 times a day, where the only option is RESET. And Firefox is suddenly freezing, then after a while back to normal. Also sudden crashes - just a black screen appears. Nothing will bring the desktop back. So I have to RESET. Appears to be a Firefox issue so far. Is still happening on RTM build too.

Have reseated ram, video card, cpu, swapped out psu and hdd - same thing happens. So for me Win10 is still a work in progress, with no discernible improvement since build 10130, which for me was really stable.
    Last edited by irjc; 2015-08-04 at 17:16.