Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to boot Win10 into Safe Mode since the screen is black

Windows 7 laptop was upgraded to Windows 10
    The owner used the computer for about an hour but then the screen went completely black
    Iíll be checking it out and am hoping I can get into Safe Mode

I found this How to Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...a.html#option3
    But that doesnít help if the screen is black
    --- So is there a way to boot into Safe Mode? Will F8, maybe F5 do it?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'd press F12 at boot up to ensure the PC is OK, then attempt to boot W10 and see if the problem persists.

Apparently W10 will boot to recovery after 2 consecutive unexpected shutdowns, so boot, turn off the power, repeat, boot should now be RE.
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-08-04)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Apparently W10 will boot to recovery after 2 consecutive unexpected shutdowns"
    That is true. I was able to boot back up in Safe Mode and that went well.

However in Normal Mode it still booted up to a black screen but I did notice there was a very faint desktop. I went into Startup Repair but it couldn't repair whatever the problem is.

I went back into Safe Mode, checked out Device Manager: the Generic PnP monitor has a yellow warning sign on it, the Display adapter AMD Radeon HD 6300 Series didn't.
    I connected a desktop monitor to the laptop and everything worked fine even in Normal Mode.

I was told the computer worked fine when it was running Win7. I'm thinking of reverting the computer back to Win7. Does this make sense?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Try downloading the latest AMD drivers from AMD download drivers.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    AMD's auto detect didn't have any Win 10 drivers for my HD6310 so cmptrgy may be equally out of luck, although mine didn't black screen in Win 10.

The fact there was a faint desktop would suggest either the Backlight or the Inverter has gone but one hell of a coincidence after upgrading to Win 10 - but I'd still revert to Win 7 to confirm.

Did you try right clicking on the Monitor in Device Manager to see if it would update the software ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-04 at 18:36.

Administrator
    Thanks
    In the right column on the download page there is a section heading which has HD 6000 series in it and links to the latest Win10 drivers. That is what I have installed for an HD6450 and it works fine.

Joe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2015-08-04)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Wonder why it didn't find any for mine ?

May just try the upgrade again

My saved AMD link takes me to http://www.amd.com/en-us/markets/game/downloads where I just click on the auto detect and didn't bother scrolling down to see those - but this doesn't seem to be a graphics driver problem for cmptrgy.

EDIT - Just re-reading cmptrgy's post, as it comes up in Safe Mode then it may just be the Monitor driver and not what the symptom in normal mode would normally denote.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-04 at 18:58.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Try downloading from a link on the page I posted. It takes nothing but a little time to download.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Try downloading from a link on the page I posted. It takes nothing but a little time to download.

Joe
    I'll give that a go after I retry the upgrade tomorrow, Joe - it's after midnight here in the UK so will be off to roost shortly

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    "

I went back into Safe Mode, checked out Device Manager: the Generic PnP monitor has a yellow warning sign on it, the Display adapter AMD Radeon HD 6300 Series didn't.

Maybe there is an inf file for the screen. Did you try the manufacturers driver for the GPU ?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is a summary of today’s activity
    Computer: ASUS laptop K52JU/K52JT Series Intel Core i7 Q740 1.73 GHz
    4GB 64-bit 500 HDD Display adapter AMD Radeon HD 6300 Series generic PnP monitor
    --- Originally the OS was Win7 and it was upgraded to the free Windows 10

The computer boots into a black screen in normal mode.
    --- It was discovered there is a very faint display just barely visible but with a flashlight it was readable
    --- However I forgot to mention that there were times the screen was completely black when booting back up
    --- But the barely visible display happened more often than the completely black screen.
    --- It just dawned on me that I did toggle the display a couple of times and maybe that’s a factor as to when the dim display happened and then didn’t
    @ Sudo15 “The fact there was a faint desktop would suggest either the Backlight or the Inverter has gone but one hell of a coincidence after upgrading to Win 10”
    --- I agree with you but she did use the Windows 10 for about an hour before the black screen kicked in.
    “Did you try right clicking on the Monitor in Device Manager to see if it would update the software?”
    --- Couldn’t since we couldn’t connect to the Internet.
    EDIT - Just re-reading cmptrgy's post, as it comes up in Safe Mode then it may just be the Monitor driver and not what the symptom in normal mode would normally denote.
    --- I’m keeping this in my list for now.
    @ Dave “Maybe there is an inf file for the screen. Did you try the manufacturers driver for the GPU?”
    --- This will be included in whatever I get to check out

@ Paul, after 2 consecutive unexpected shutdowns, the computer did boot into Recovery: I was able to get into Startup Repair but it couldn't repair whatever the problem is.

The computer boots into Safe Mode as well as Safe Mode with Networking just fine
    --- Unfortunately though we couldn’t connect online because no one in the office knew the SSID or passphrase
    --- I checked Device Manager
    --- The Generic PnP monitor has a yellow warning sign on it
    --- The Display adapter AMD Radeon HD 6300 Series was normal
    @ Joe “Try downloading the latest AMD drivers from AMD download drivers.”
    --- Great link: I will try that tomorrow as I’ll be going to her house.
    On the “In the right column on the download page there is a section heading which has HD 6000 series in it and links to the latest Win10 drivers. That is what I have installed for an HD6450 and it works fine.”
    --- Thanks for this additional tip.

Then I connected a desktop VGA monitor to the laptop and everything worked fine even in Normal Mode without any problems. Naturally there wasn’t a yellow warning sign in Device Manager for the desktop monitor as expected.

OK one more item I want to add: I noticed that had Slim Cleaner Plus on their computer. I didn’t check to see if it was active but the Plus makes me think it’s a paid version. I’ve never used it but I believe I’ve read in some posts one of its functions is to maintain up-to-date drivers. If my friend gives me permission, I plan on uninstalling it. It was installed in May either this year, maybe last year, I didn’t write it down. There’s no way of knowing whether or not the display is affected by this programs drivers utility but I doubt it’s needed anyway.

Well this summary gives me a pretty good checklist to go by tomorrow and I plan on putting it to good use.
    --- I am going to attempt to stay with the upgraded Windows 10
    --- But I will revert back to Windows 7 if necessary

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Slim Cleaner is another one of the "make your PC faster" genre of probably useless software. The plus version seems to be a paid version, but I couldn't see how much you have to pay.
    Recommendation: Remove

cheers, Paul

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-08-05)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately nothing worked to get the laptop display visible enough to be used. The decision was made to revert back to Windows 7. So on the Go back to previous build screen , it's on restarting and has been for almost 2 hours. Is that normal to take that long at that point?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It could well do.

When I first tried a repair install on my Win 7 - I booted up with the install disk instead of doing it from within Windows and it got almost to the end after about two hours and then failed, which took about another two hours for the roll back.

How long did the upgrade take as a pointer ?

I wonder if the computer's chipset drivers would cover the PnP Monitor ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-05 at 12:24.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "How long did the upgrade take as a pointer ?' The owner doesn't know.

"I wonder if the computer's chipset drivers would cover the PnP Monitor ?"
    I used Joe's AMD link to update to the Windows 10 driver and then clicked on the chipset drivers link but there were 3 choices and I can't determine which one is the correct one to select so I exited out.

I've checked out some Microsoft Community references but as usual none of them addressed the question at hand. To me the Microsoft Community is essentially a waste of time "90%" of the time.

From what I figure, I'll go back and just force shutdown the computer and hope for the best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast