Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question about .iso install

I've got a desktop that was running Win 7 home premium (64 bit) but the motherboard had problems so it was retired 4-5 months ago. I do have the Win 7 key for it. Can I download the Win 10 .iso for Home (64 bit) and install from the .iso (clean install using the win 7 key from the retired PC) to a different computer that was running Win 7 Pro 64 bit. (this is wife's PC that was bought as a refurbished one from Tiger Direct and she or I really have no need for a "pro" version.

Guess the real question is can I install from the .iso to any machine capable of supporting Win 10 if I have a valid Microsoft Windows key (in this case, Win 7 home premium), assuming this valid key is not being using on anything now???
    Ed

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If the keys are OEM keys then NO. OEM keys are tied to the original machine.

A Pro SKU just enables a few more features by default. I recommend just using the normal upgrade process for the PC. You are not forced to use any feature you don't want.

Joe

Thanks
    This doesn't only apply to OEM. You cant do a clean install without a valid (and different in each case) W10 key. The only way to get the new keys is via the upgrade route as it replaces the original key.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, thanks for the info.
    Ed