Thanks

Most strange MS web behavior

I was trying to down load The Media Creation Tool for W10 on my XP box. Links at MS went to :

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...d/windows10ISO

Which is a page to download The ISO. Repeated attempts still brought me to this page. I tried Explorer, FF and Chrome with the same results.

Just on a lark I tried it on my W7 box and the very same links that yielded the above took me to where I wanted; The Media Creation Tool page!

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10

Again just on a lark on the W7 box I put in the url that took me to the ISO DL page on my xp box and was redirected back to the The Media Creation Tool page!

Even though I am afraid I may be running out of larks, I put the The Media Creation Tool page url into FF om my xp box and was redirected to the ISO D/L page!!

I did this whilst logged in to my MS account on both machines.

I would like to understand this behavior.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...d/windows10ISO
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Could be that the Media Creation Tool is not XP compatible so you'd have to download the ISO and burn it yourself.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I was trying to down load The Media Creation Tool for W10 on my XP box
    Agreed, not compatible. But also involved is that support for WinXP has been discontinued since April 2014 and WinXP cannot qualify for the free Upgrade to Win10 even though the hardware may meet the requirements for Win10 nor can Vista, Win7 w/No SP and Win8.0 be Upgraded. It seems only reasonable not to offer the Upgrade for OSes that do not meet the Upgrade path/requirements.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Agreed, not compatible. But also involved is that support for WinXP has been discontinued since April 2014 and WinXP cannot qualify for the free Upgrade to Win10 even though the hardware may meet the requirements for Win10 nor can Vista, Win7 w/No SP and Win8.0 be Upgraded. It seems only reasonable not to offer the Upgrade for OSes that do not meet the Upgrade path/requirements.

Actually I am offered the ISO so that really does not make sense.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The ISO can be used with any retail Win10 key. It can be used to clean install on an XP system if you have a valid key. So, offering the ISO is inline with upgrading an XP system.

Joe

Thanks
    Not sending one to the requested page is in line with something else ....
    David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sites redirect you regularly. Microsoft was just trying to be helpful because the software you want is not compatible with the OS on the PC.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've seen adverts on the telly in the UK for Win 10 laptops - surely as it's waiting for the first update for a disk player to work and perhaps to fix other reported bugs - what build are vendors using ?

Thanks
    Well thanks for nada MS. It took an hour or two to get beyond this. I want the same compensation the BG gets on his portfolio before I will have good feelings about this. Thats never huh

David

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    This redirecting by Microsoft has been going on for quite some time now, I first noticed it when trying to get Essentials 2009 for Windows 7 after it had been updated to 2011.