Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unsuccessful Win7 reinstallation from CD (fails to overwrite files)

I urgently need to reinstall Win7 HP x64 from CD and simultaneously wipe all the personal files (cryptolocker virus infection), but Microsoft's 'advanced recovery process' via Control Panel leaves the files intact:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...ecovery-method

Anyone know to how to obtain a clean reinstallation ? (I also cannot get Win7 to install from CD via startup F8 intervention)

TIA

Dave

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Try going into your BIOS and have make sure the DVD/CD drive is before your HD. You should be given the opportunity to reformat the existing partition. Sorry, don't remember the Win7 install sequence to be more specific.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried booting from the Windows 7 DVD? You may have to go into the BIOS to set the boot order. Dell has a temporary boot order. If you have EUFI, you will probably have to disable secure boot.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Try going into your BIOS and have make sure the DVD/CD drive is before your HD ...
    Many thanks - F8 now works but I can't see any obvious options which offer 'boot from CD'.

However I have managed to access the BIOS (EUFI?) manager and reset 'boot from CD' as first option.

Windows 'custom option' reinstallation failed at reformatting 'Partition 3 Windows': "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style".

Dave.
    Last edited by purdyd; 2015-08-04 at 14:43. Reason: F8 now working

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Persistence pays off - Win7 has finally reinstalled and upgraded to Pro. So hopefully no more queries.

Dave

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After reinstalling Win7 x64 I cannot connect to the Internet and various devices have ! against them (all working previously):

- Ethernet Controller
    - SCSI Controller
    - SM Bus Controller
    - 2x USB Controller
    - High Definition Audio Device

The drivers are variously not installed and 'update driver' is greyed out.

How are the drivers installed ? TIA (again)

Dave.
    Last edited by purdyd; 2015-08-04 at 16:43.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by purdyd View Post
    After reinstalling Win7 x64 I cannot connect to the Internet and various devices have ! against them (all working previously):

- Ethernet Controller
    - SCSI Controller
    - SM Bus Controller
    - 2x USB Controller
    - High Definition Audio Device

The drivers are variously not installed and 'update driver' is greyed out.

How are the drivers installed ? TIA (again)

Dave.
    I looked at your original post to see if you have WiFi or a Lan cable. If you have WiFi, and have access to the router, and can connect to it with a Lan cable, that's the first thing to do.

Once when installing Windows 7 to my wife's laptop, I found it did not have the drivers for WiFi, so I took it to my office where I had a switch I could connect it to, then started looking on line for information about getting the WiFi driver, and by the time I looked back at the laptop, Windows 7 had already gone online, found the driver, and the WiFi was working.

So start by getting connected to the internet with a Lan cable.

If you don't have WiFi and are connected with a Lan cable, you will need to go to another computer, download the drivers from the computer or motherboard, or NIC manufacturer onto a USB flash drive, and then sneaker net them over to your other computer.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    I looked at your original post to see if you have WiFi or a Lan cable. If you have WiFi, and have access to the router, and can connect to it with a Lan cable, that's the first thing to do...
    Many thanks - I managed to update the Ethernet driver from the Gigabyte motherboard support CD-ROM, which then gave me Internet access and allowed me to update the rest of the drivers.

Dave.