Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OneNote 2010 keeps hanging

I am using OneNote 2010, under Windows Pro 8.1. Lately, for some reason, it has started "hanging" on me. It starts okay, but when I try to access anything in it, or paste something to it, it comes back with the typical MS message about the application not responding. I don't know why this is happening as I get no error messages or anything other than the "non-responding" message. If anyone can provide any insight on why this is happening and what I can do to resolve it, this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you tried a repair or reinstall of OneNote?

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe some help here?
    http://www.onenote.com/Download

There is an update for what you have.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2956075

Be sure to get the right version, either 32-bit or 64-bit.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Have you tried a repair or reinstall of OneNote?

Joe
    No I haven't. Will a reinstall affect any of the OneNote files? What about a repair? What does it do differently that a reinstall will not?

Ron M

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Maybe some help here?
    http://www.onenote.com/Download

There is an update for what you have.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2956075

Be sure to get the right version, either 32-bit or 64-bit.
    There does not seem to be any relevant help in the first URL, as it is simply a place to download OneNote 2010.

The second URL goes to an update and when I run it, it tells me that there are no application on my computer that this update will help, or words to that effect.

Any other suggestions? Maybe as Joe has suggested, a reinstall is necessary?

Ron M

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I too am having the same problem. Thought nothing of it at first. I don't know what is causing the problem but from my research, on Aug 6th I saved a note with no issues, but on Aug 10th I had the problems. I checked my Win8.1 updates and nothing was upgraded between those Aug 6-10. Sorry but don't have a solution at this time. Will continue searching, hopefully someone can help us.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wkp3 View Post
    I too am having the same problem. Thought nothing of it at first. I don't know what is causing the problem but from my research, on Aug 6th I saved a note with no issues, but on Aug 10th I had the problems. I checked my Win8.1 updates and nothing was upgraded between those Aug 6-10. Sorry but don't have a solution at this time. Will continue searching, hopefully someone can help us.
    wkp3, thanks for the information. It is always good to realize that I am not the only one experiencing similar problems.

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    No I haven't. Will a reinstall affect any of the OneNote files? What about a repair? What does it do differently that a reinstall will not?

Ron M
    Neither a repair or a reinstall will affect your existing notes.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Neither a repair or a reinstall will affect your existing notes.
    Thanks. Things seem to be working okay now - go figure, but if I have any more problems, I will definitely go for a re-install.

Ron M

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded OneNote 2010 and reinstalled it. Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem of it "hanging/not responding".

I am wondering if it is possible that I have too many "notes" for One Note to handle, if this is at all possible?

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    I don't think that is possible. There is something else going on there, but I fear I don't know what.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I don't think that is possible. There is something else going on there, but I fear I don't know what.
    I didn't think it was possible either, so now the "fun" is trying to find out why it is doing what it is doing. Maybe I have to keep a log of what I was doing at the time.

My usual use of OneNote is to have it open on my second monitor (I have a two monitor system), so that if I find something on a website on Monitor 1, I can copy from the web site and then paste it into one of my many notebooks in One Note. This works, but now OneNote keeps giving me problems when it has been running on the second monitor for a while and I try to shut it down (goes into non-responding mode), or I try to browse a notebook inside it (non-responding mode).

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Does it ever respond? If so, are you running on a RAM limited machine?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Does it ever respond? If so, are you running on a RAM limited machine?

Joe
    Yes, it does respond. I am now going to keep track of when this happens - the non-responds, and what was going on - what apps were running, etc. One situation that I have noticed where this "not responding" seems to happen is when I have had OneNote running for a while and have not been doing anything with it. The moment I try to work with it, it goes into "not responding" mode and then I have to use the Task Master to shut it down.

My process with OneNote is to often have it open on one monitor (monitor #2) while I am doing all my other work on monitor #1. That way, if I find something I want to add to a OneNote notebook, I can simply copy it on monitor #1, move the mouse to monitor #2 and paste it into the appropriate Notebook.

I am pretty sure I am not RAM limited - I am running an Intel I7 Core 5820K CPU at 3.3GHz and I have 16 GB of RAM on the Motherboard. My last machine only had 8GB of RAM, and I never had this problem. HTH.

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    I am pretty sure I am not RAM limited - I am running an Intel I7 Core 5820K CPU at 3.3GHz and I have 16 GB of RAM on the Motherboard. My last machine only had 8GB of RAM, and I never had this problem. HTH.

Ron M
    Have you checked your RAM recently?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast