Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I like Windows 7

I like the Windows 7 Start Menu. Windows 8/8.1 did not have Start Menus, and the Windows 10 Start Menu Sucks. I don't like having it crapped up with Microsoft Store Apps, I don't like Cortana, and after turning Cortana off, I don't line having my start menu search going to the internet where they are recorded and tracked, not to mention returning a bunch of useless crap. I like the Windows 7 menu right pane with links and menus to useful stuff.

I like free Solitaire. I don't want Solitaire to have ads, and I don't want to pay $9.99 per year for it.

I don't use Windows Media Player any more. For a short while, you could watch free TV shows, but that didn't last long, and I haven't used it since. I do occasionally use DVD player, but not a lot.

I don't want to share my WiFi through some sort of default procedure. I don't use Facebook, or any other kind of social stuff, so I don't have that to worry about, but apparently if somebody wants to use my WiFi, all they have to do is send me an email to get it in my address book. I know you can turn it off, but I'd rather not have it turned on by default so that if I don't turn it off I get screwed.

Forced Upgrades. Surely Microsoft must be aware how badly this is going to turn out. Their quality control leaves a lot to be desired, and on a regular basis millions of computers will get hosed until they can fix the fixes.

See the article "Windows 10 violates your privacy by default, here's how you can protect yourself"

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...tect-yourself/

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prescott For This Useful Post:

Ken_T (2015-08-08),toextra (2015-08-05)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Call me a Luddite if you will, but as for us and our Win7 machines, we're keeping them until (at least) end of Extended Support.

The sort of issues you describe are similar to some of the reasons I'm still running Quicken 2000 (on Win 7 x64 no less!)

Maybe by End O' Life for Win 7, Linux might be ready for prime time.
    Last edited by toextra; 2015-08-05 at 01:33.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for that link Prescott, certainly kills off any curiosity about Win 10. The only thing I find curious is that so many will share so much with so many. This one statement from MS would stop me dead in my tracks:-

"We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders) , when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services." (italics added)

How can anyone accept that as a condition? The mind boggles!

David

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhinoceros For This Useful Post:

Ken_T (2015-08-08)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I too am happy with my Win 7. The more I hear about Win 10 the more I dislike it and most of the crap that comes with it. This thread has been a real eye opener for me! I'm going to stay with Win 7 until it can't be used for Internet browsing anymore, and after that I don't know - Linux maybe or whatever isn't M$. M$ is shooting themselves in both feet. Thanks to all for this valuable information.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm 66 and I am rather hoping that W7 will see me out !!
    It's not that I am averse to change, but I don't want the effort of re-learning everything when there's nothing in it for me.
    XP served me well for many years - I watched Vista come and go with a certain smugness - and I'm sure that W7 will do the same.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, if one doesn't have to be concerned with Apps; communicating and syncing with devices and all that cross-platform crap that Microsoft was pretty much compelled to put in for the youngins, the pure computing experience of XP and Win 7 can't be beat. I'll always be a meat and potatoes kind of guy. I'm only 1.3 decades into XP, not to mention W7; long way to go yet!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    ... but apparently if somebody wants to use my WiFi, all they have to do is send me an email to get it in my address book. I know you can turn it off, but I'd rather not have it turned on by default so that if I don't turn it off I get screwed.
    It's not nearly that automatic.

The capability is only enabled by default if you choose Express Settings on first use of Windows 10. If you opt to Customize settings, then you would have to turn it on.

But even then, nothing is shared until you positively opt-in for a particular connection; "you choose if you want to share a Wi‑Fi network when you first connect to it":
    Wi‑Fi Sense FAQ for Windows 10

You get a reminder that it's being shared every time you see that connection, and it's very easy to turn connection sharing off or back on as required.

And of course it's internet access only, when one of your contacts is at your location, if they're using Windows 10 (or Windows Phone 8.1): Wi-Fi Sense, FUD and You!
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-08-05 at 09:34.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm 67 and I thought that Win 7 would do me and it could out live me, but having a second Win 7 laptop - thought what the hell and gave it a go.

I had a few problems with it, not least of all no Win 10 graphics update until Joe pointed one out for me after I'd reverted to Win 7.

There were other problems which I hope the first update will resolve, but I will be going back to it on one of my machines and keeping one as Win 7.

Having dipped my toe, I'm happy to give it another go.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-05 at 17:12.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Give it a go is a good mantra IMO, but I'm inclined to wait until W10 has settled.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    @FUN,

I appreciate all the "communicating and syncing with devices and all that cross-platform crap". It saves me a ton of time and I don't have to remember on which device I stored something. I like my Contacts and Favorites synching between devices. I like photos being saved to OneDrive automatically and then available to any of my devices without me having to do anything more. I like the blend in Win10 of desktop and touch on my Surface Pro 3.

I don't begrudge anyone who wants to stay on XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 8.1. Good luck to all who choose to do that.

Joe

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2015-08-05)

Thanks
    As Joe says, if you want to stay on XP et al, then that's your decision. But why should we all have to do that (which virtually everyone who denigrates 8/10 seems to imply)?

As for me, I couldn't wait to get off XP (horrid in my experience). Vista I only used for a short time, so my opinion is coloured by those who said it was bloatware. & was a big improvement, but I never liked that awful (IMHO) start menu. 8 was so much better, but 8.1 was what MS should have introduced first. I haven't tried 10 yet (my virtual box made it run like treacle) but I now have a box I can try it out on, so will do so when the dust has settled a bit.

I'm 66 and I don't condemn something because it's different. I appreciate that some have genuine concerns, but many appear to be based on FUD. An example - I won't use 8 because I don't want a touch screen. I haven't had a touch screen and have had no problems without one. Of course the caveat is - YMMV.

</rant>

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Remember, I said if one has no need [to be concerned], which I don't; I'm not implying anything. Smart phones have been the biggest new time sink in the history of mankind though so I'm not buying the saving time part unless you mean because it's taken up so much more of your time you need better management tools now, and now the OSes are reaching out to join that ever growing sink of time, it just keeps everyone tied into their addictiveness to social presence and immediacy without actually being present. That also is not implying good or bad, just what it is.
    Also, I guess I just have great luck with XP and that factors into my satisfaction, it's easily my best performing OS (with the advent of SSDs too) and the reason I haven't fully moved to Win 7.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

Ken_T (2015-08-08)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Woody Leonhard's article from Windows Secrets Windows 10: Good, but is it good enough? is very helpful, and confirms my personal choice to stick with W7 for the time being. The article is a polite and balanced statement that Windows 10 isn't working - yet.

There's something really deep here that I find it hard to express but I'll have a go by way of an analogy - after my car has been serviced I don't expect that the brake pedal has been moved, there are no longer rear doors, the interior lights don't work and the reverse and forward gears have been changed around. Unless, that is, I am a racing driver.

The changes to Operating Systems treat me like a racing driver - who is inevitably interested in driving itself unlike my interest which is travelling.

As a mere user of computers I want results without having to get too involved with the stuff under the hood. It is a damning indictment that I know so much about how PCs work - I had to find out to keep things working !

Back to the cars - I used to have cars like that, but nowadays ones that require me to have a toolbox and a workshop manual will stay in the showroom.
    Last edited by MartinM; 2015-08-06 at 05:11.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by toextra View Post
    Call me a Luddite if you will, but as for us and our Win7 machines, we're keeping them until (at least) end of Extended Support.

The sort of issues you describe are similar to some of the reasons I'm still running Quicken 2000 (on Win 7 x64 no less!)

Maybe by End O' Life for Win 7, Linux might be ready for prime time.
    I don't know how recently you have looked at Linux, but if it's been awhile, maybe you should take another look. The distributions that I like are Mint with Cinnamon, Debian, and Fedora. You should also look at Ubuntu with Unity. I don't like the Unity user interface, but a lot of people do. You can either burn them to a DVD or install them on a USB flash drive, and run them as live. There is zero commitment. When you are finished looking, you can remove the DVD or flash drive, and it like they were never there. I have them installed as virtual machines in a VMware Player. Mostly I just access them once a week or so, and download and install the updates, but it is helping me get familiar with them so that when the day comes, say April 2020, I will be ready for them.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Prescott For This Useful Post:

toextra (2015-08-06)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post

Back to the cars - I used to have cars like that, but nowadays ones that require me to have a toolbox and a workshop manual will stay in the showroom.

But they are always good to have just in case.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast