New Lounger
    Thanks

Mixed versions (Office XP)

Is it possible to install different versions of office components on the same machine w/o messing things up? I have Office XP small business on my machine. I need to use Power Point and only have Power Point 97 SR2 (on my Office 97 CD).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mixed versions (Office XP)

If you're going to use an app not included in your Ofrfice version as a regular thing, it might be a better idea to buy the XP version of that app. You can run different versions on the same machine, but installing an earlier version after a later takes extra work and you have to be very careful about not overwriting libraries with the same name.

Office 97 will not install after even Office 2000 unless you first rename or remove the hatten.ttf font from the machine.
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

office xp should self repair if installing only power point causes problems.

i would definitely install it to a different directory than it's default - and use the custom install so that only PPT is installed. Then either repair or reinstall office xp.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Charlotte ..... Installing an earlier version of an Office product can be very, very dangerous. To do it properly you must perform the installs in the "version order". I had a similar problem a while back on a machine at work. I stayed on the phone with Microsoft Tech Support for an hour and a half. They tried every trick they knew to straighten out the problem but never figured it out. I ended up having to reformat the drive and reinstall all software. I have Office 97, 2000 and XP on my machines but this must be done very carefully and also must be done starting with the installation of the earliest version first.

Here is a MS Knowledge base article that may help.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q290/5/76.ASP>Running Multiple Versions of Microsoft Office</A>

HTH
    RDH
    Ricky Hicks
    Microsoft MVP
    Birmingham, Alabama USA

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

That mealy-mouthed article frtom MSFT is misleading.
    Two versions of Office cannot fully co-exist in th e same bootable system AND the article does not list all of the potential problems.

MSFT has always warned about mixing components of different Office versions.

I have Office 97 installed under Win 98 and Office 2000 installed under Win 2000 on the same computer, each in a separarate partition.

On Wednesday, I am planninhg on buying Office XP and will create a 2nd Win 2000 partition in which to install Office XP.

No other mechanism may be expected to allow versions of Office to co-exist on the same computer.

I sure wish MSFT would document all this stuff properly. Oh well, I can dream, n'est -ce pas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A separate boot just to run PowerPoint seems a bit extreme, Howard. He doesn't want to run both versions of Office, just one application. Most of us are willing to live with the potential problems in order to avoid having to reboot to use a single application.
    Charlotte