Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 errors and compatibility issues

Several problems and questions:

I updated to W 10 on my Sony Vaio Laptop, model SVS1513BGXB (previously running Win 7 Pro SP-1).
    Initially, it looked like everything was going well, got the new OS set up and apparently operating correctly.
    Running Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and Avast scans (on demand - only Avast is running full time) showed no malware or viruses.

Here's the first issue that I noticed: When I ran the System File Checker (sfc /scannow), it returned the following message: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."
    It went on to reference the CBS Log file (which I'm not attaching, owing to its size).

Which generates my first questions: Can these issues (whatever they are) be fixed by using the Win 10 DVD (the one I created from the Win 10 ISO to do my original update) to do a non-destructive repair?
    If so, how (specifically) can I do this?

Here's the second issue: According to the Reliability Monitor, my machine has suffered 15 instances (since my Win 10 update on July 30) where VCAgent stopped working. VCAgent is a component of VAIO Care, which came installed on my Sony laptop, and had been functioning properly under Win 7.
    A call to Sony tech support confirmed that my computer was not yet ready to accept Win 10 (despite what Microsoft says). Specifically, Sony is in the process of updating drivers for Win 10 (don't know how many, or which ones they are, but the implication is that VAIO Care is among them). Their recommendation was to go back to Win 7 for the time being ( I was directed to a Sony Win 10 update site, where the recommendation is to NOT update to Win 10 at this time). Updated drivers are expected sometime this month.

Which generates my next question: Do you know of any issues/problems associated with going back to Win 7 using the Win 10 option provided under "Settings/Update & Security/ Recovery/ Go back to Windows 7"?

As I said earlier, Win 10 outwardly appears to be running fine (I would never have noticed a problem had I not gone looking for it), but if these issues can't be corrected, I will stick with Win 7 at least till end-of-life (Win 7's, not mine).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you don't need VAIO care uninstall it (and I doubt that you really need it). Surely, you can do a manual check at the Sony site for updates if you need to. Then re-run SFC.

Joe

Thanks
    LesF,
    I have an HP Probook and I had to uninstall all components of "HP Client Security Manager" before win 10 would even install. I called HP and they said to just uninstall it and they will update it at some point to work with Win 10. I think there is going to be a lot of that type of give and take as win 10 gets rolling.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    This is a consequence of the big OEM vendors loading lots of junk on their systems.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can get a cut down version of the CBS Log by entering findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt in an elevated cmd prompt.

This will put an icon onto the desktop which you double click on to open the CBS Log into Notepad which you could then copy & paste into the reply box, but at least one of the errors will probably be Telemetry which is what MS seem to be using to spy on Win 10 installs and is generated by KB3068708.

I found that when I ran the cmd dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth in Win 10 that it went up to 20% and just stayed there, but there again, I had other problems.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    This is a consequence of the big OEM vendors loading lots of junk on their systems.

Joe
    Yup

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies.

OK, VAIO Care has been uninstalled.

Another run of sfc gives the same message. I did a word find in the CBS log for Telemetry, and found nothing.

Joe, my understanding of sfc is that it requires access to an uncorrupted version of a corrupt file in order to replace (i.e., fix) it. If this is true, then it's seems that sfc will never be able to fix this install of Win 10. Perhaps it can find such a file on the installation DVD (which used to be required in XP), but I don't know how to direct it to look there.

Sudo, I don't understand what dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth is attempting to do - is this supposed to repair the current installation? What I was asking about was using the installation DVD to do a non-destructive repair. It doesn't seem that your command does this. Am I correct?

Also, I'm still interested in the answer to my last question ("Do you know of any issues/problems associated with going back to Win 7 using the Win 10 option provided under "Settings/Update & Security/ Recovery/ Go back to Windows 7") before I actually attempt this.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    DISM is an improved fixing utility and you should run it if SFC can't fix things.
    I would attempt to fix W10 before giving up on it.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, I tried the DISM command that Sudo provided, and got an error message (see below).

As I suspected with sfc, the DISM also requires a pointer to a source file to get replacements for the corrupted files. I was hoping to use the installation/update DVD as a source for the required files, but I don't know h0w to word the DISM command properly, or even if the DVD can be used in this way.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows /LimitAccess

DISM Operating System Package Servicing Command-Line Options

There's lots of help if you type DISM /? or Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce, thanks for the info.

I'd already looked at DISM /?, and couldn't figure out the correct syntax.

After reading the link you posted, I found it rather confusing. But I did glean from it (perhaps incorrectly) that the source switch should point to a cabinet file for the replacement files. The only cab file that I could find on the Win 10 installation/update DVD was in the sources/sxs directory (unless I missed a cab file elsewhere on the disk), but when I used the source switch to point to that, I still got the same error message. Either that's not the correct file or I still haven't figured out the correct syntax.

Sudo, it does appear that the DISM command hangs at 20% (it did each time I tried the command), but if you wait long enough, perhaps 5 or 10 minutes, it will then complete very quickly. Take a look at the disk activity light while it's holding at 20% - if the light is on, then the action should eventually complete.

I'm about to give up on repairing this installation of Win 10. I think tomorrow I'll attempt to get Win 7 back intact, but I don't have a lot of faith that that'll go smoothly, either. I might have to resort to the Acronis disk image I made before starting this Win 10 adventure, but I don't even know if that will work, as I've never tried to restore an Acronis image before.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    If SFC could not fix something, then run the command again to see if it may be able to the next time. Sometimes it may take running the sfc /scannow command 3 times restarting the PC after each time to completely fix everything that it's able to.

If not, then run the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command to repair any component store corruption, restart the PC afterwards, and try the sfc /scannow command again.

If still not, then you could refresh Windows 10, or do a system restore using a restore point dated before the bad system file occured to fix it. You may need to repeat doing a system restore until you find a older restore point that may work.

Reverting to 7 should not be considered.

You can, also, take the ISO & do a clean (Custom) install. <--- being a last resort.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

LesF (2015-08-06)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I wonder if an offboot sfc scannow would do it as the source would be the Win 10 ISO.

Boot up with the ISO and select Repair your Computer then navigate to the RE, making a note of where it locates the OS, but the first cmd will confirm it for you.

In the RE select Command Prompt then enter -

bcdedit |find "osdevice" and using the partition letter it gives, enter (assuming C )

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows

and see what that reports.

Enter exit to close the cmd window, remove the ISO then Restart and see how it goes from there.

I've seen where the roll back from within Win 10 has gone smoothly, so you should be okay unless the corruption could skew the roll back if that hasn't fixed it.

Apparently MS has released some updates for Win 10 but this guy seems quite sceptical http://techcrunch.com/2015/08/05/mic...ng-what-it-is/

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

LesF (2015-08-06)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew, I've lost count of how many times I tried SFC, but I'll give it another shot.
    I disagree that reverting to Win 7 should not be considered. I consider Win 10 to be like a cancer - if I can't completely fix it, I want to be rid of it!

Sudo, thanks for the advice. I'll try it after I go through the SFC routine again.
    Please clarify what the RE is (pardon my ignorance).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sorry, I normally mention Recovery Environment in full before I abbreviate it to RE - it's where Startup Repair down to Factory reset options are.

I'd been up all night when I posted that and would perhaps have normally given more detail had I not been tired.

When you boot up with an install disk you will eventually see Windows Setup (EMS Enabled) highlighted where you press enter and follow on from there (still tired ) changing/confirming language/currency/keyboard and then select Repair your Computer.

In that command, note there are spaces before each forward slash and that's a Pipe symbol before find which is the upper case of \
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-06 at 12:38.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

LesF (2015-08-06)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast