Thanks

Do I need to setup my PC with a live.com account?

I was going to setup Cortana on my laptop yesterday and after reading thru a few things I backed off. According to the Cortana install if you provide it with your Microsoft Live account it will change my machine logon to my Live Account instead of using my Local Account that I'm using today. Well, with my current configuration, my laptop has a local account and I have it setup to boot directly to the desktop and not require PSWD. I realize that if I take my laptop out and it get's lost or stolen then people can get in and find some stuff about you but the reality is that since I retired, I don't really even need a laptop and it hardly leaves my desk.

At the point when it asked me to confirm that was OK with changing my logon I canceled. My concern at this point is that someone on another forum suggested that I was making a huge mistake and that I should reconsider. He stated that by net setting up my laptop to use the Live account with a password I was putting myself at risk as some electronic intruder could come in and hijack my computer if it wasn't password protected. So, can I get some opinions if it's OK to keep a local account and no password or should I register with my Microsoft account and let it convert my logon method?
    Last edited by Moondoggy451; 2015-08-04 at 17:49.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    If you are reasonably sure that you will maintain physical control of your PC you are fine. It is all about what level of risk you are willing to assume.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggy451 View Post
    can I get some opinions if it's OK to keep a local account and no password or should I register with my Microsoft account and let it convert my logon method?
    You have another option which is to add a password to your local account.

But I have read several times that an account password will not stop an electronic intrusion anyway. But if you want that protection but don't want to be bothered entering the password each time, you can have your computer set to automatically boot into your password protected account, no need to manually enter the password.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggy451 View Post
    I was going to setup Cortana on my laptop yesterday and after reading thru a few things I backed off. According to the Cortana install if you provide it with your Microsoft Live account it will change my machine logon to my Live Account instead of using my Local Account that I'm using today. Well, with my current configuration, my laptop has a local account and I have it setup to boot directly to the desktop and not require PSWD. I realize that if I take my laptop out and it get's lost or stolen then people can get in and find some stuff about you but the reality is that since I retired, I don't really even need a laptop and it hardly leaves my desk.

At the point when it asked me to confirm that was OK with changing my logon I canceled. My concern at this point is that someone on another forum suggested that I was making a huge mistake and that I should reconsider. He stated that by net setting up my laptop to use the Live account with a password I was putting myself at risk as some electronic intruder could come in and hijack my computer if it wasn't password protected. So, can I get some opinions if it's OK to keep a local account and no password or should I register with my Microsoft account and let it convert my logon method?
    I am not sure I get your doubt. If you use a Live account, your computer will be password protected. You can still login automatically and if you do, there is no difference that I can see to a situation where you would automatically logon to a local account. Actually, I would state that the Microsoft account would offer protection that you can't have with a local account such as two factor authentication, through which no one will be able to change your password without you allowing it, either through a code sent by SMS, to your phone, or through an authentication app, if you have a smartphone. The former only requires a mobile phone, the latter requires a smartphone able to run an authentication app.

In either case, your account will be more protected if it is a Microsoft account than if it is a local account. If you are connected to the internet, I don't see how using a Microsoft account puts you in a more vulnerable than using a local account. I really don't.

I have used a Microsoft account since Windows 8. I am now on 8.1 and haven't upgraded to 10 yet, but will, eventually, and I will keep using a Microsoft account. The advantages, in my opinion, justify it. I already use my Microsoft account on my Microsoft phone and I love that I can share contacts between both seamlessly, for example.
    Rui
    -------
    R4