Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Desktop Icons keep Rearranging

I have a VBox install of Win10 from the release ISO, and have not had any application problems so far, but one thing that drives me nuts is that EVERY time I move between application windows or refresh the desktop, or even when I reboot, ALL of my icons get rearranged. It will not retain the arrangement I have set up. I have DesktopOK which I can use to restore the arrangement of my icons, but it is infuriating to not just retain what I have set. I have not seen anyone else complaining about this, but if I cannot solve this I will be deferring any update from Win7 Pro to Win10 on my main PC until it is fixed. Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated. TIA for your help.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Are they rearranged in the same order every time? If so you may have auto sort turned on - right click on the Desktop and select Sort by.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    While your there, check View. Make sure that Auto arrange is not selected.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanx for the advice, but that was the first thing I checked. Auto-arrange is Off. Yes they are arranging in the same order (I think). I'll need to check again when I get back on at COB today. This happens when I change windows, or even just right-click the desktop and choose Refresh. Very frustrating. BTW: As I recall this similar situation with Win7 initially, which is why I found DesktopOK, and eventually the icons stopped re-arranging themselves anyhow. I don't want to go thru this again, and it seems worse this time anyhow...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Red face Update -- now its okay

Well, I don't know if the update from 8/4 might have fixed it, or if it just starting working correctly by itself, but tonight when I booted Win10 Pro, the desktop icons stayed where I had left them. I even did a "refresh" right-click and they still stayed put.

So, if anyone else is having this problem, there is hope it will fix itself eventually.

Thanx for your suggestions and comments. Good luck.

Rob

Banned Member
    Thanks
    While & since we are discussing Desktop icons here, thought I might offer something for people's consideration.

Myself & many others do not care to have icons (showing) on the Desktop. Rt Click Desktop > View & disable Show Desktop icons. AND enable the Desktop Toolbar; pretty much makes the Start menu unnecessary*, as well. Rt Clk Taskbar > Toolbars.

* of course, I have an Applications window on the Taskbar so between the 2 things, really, never need to open Start menu. Well 3 things if the Power Users menu is included in all this.