4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dual monitor support in Remote Desktop?

I'm interested in using dual monitors on my home computer when connected via Remote Desktop to my office workstation. My home computer runs Windows 7 Professional; my office workstation runs Windows 7 Enterprise.

I understand that in Windows 7, Remote Desktop supports dual monitors only if both computers are running either the Enterprise or the Ultimate edition. That means that I could get my dual monitors if I upgraded my home computer to Windows Ultimate -- but it would be costly, and since Microsoft no longer sells or supports Windows 7, it would be chancy.

What if I upgraded my home computer to Windows 10? Is there a version of it that would let me do this? It would have to interoperate with Windows 7 Enterprise, since my workstation's OS is not likely to change!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    There shouldn't be any issues with using dual monitors client-side, just put the remote desktop on whatever screen you want it to be on. I'm not familiar with server-side but Teamviewer handles multiple remote desktops very well by allowing you to switch to whichever one individually or show all of them at once if desired, albeit probably only on one screen if there are multiple monitors on both ends; and the good thing about Teamviewer is it works on any compatible version of Windows; although if you are using it for business purposes, it's not free.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    FUN, thank you for trying to help. I haven't heard of Teamviewer before, and I'll look into it.

But I'm concerned about your comment that "There shouldn't be any issues... just put the remote desktop on whatever screen you want it to be on." The whole point is to put the remote desktop on both screens. If I can't do that, dual monitors serve no business purpose at all. I'm not sure you understood that, so I'm not sure that the question you're trying to answer is the one I asked.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    So you want to reconfigure a single remote desktop so that it's on both local screens? Ya, I don't know if that's possible or not unless the local video configuration is in span or some mode that covers both screens by default with essentially one desktop.

I use two screens with all the remote desktops on one screen so I can work on the remote and the local computer at the same time without moving anything around.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2015-08-05 at 10:00.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The reason for this is that at my company, working remotely means working on the computer under my desk in the office, through my home computer. That's the only way I can get access to the company's internal network, without which most of the work I do would be impossible. Thus, a second monitor that wasn't attached to the remote desktop would only be useful for goofing off.

I don't know if that's possible or not unless the local video configuration is in span or some mode that covers both screens by default with essentially one desktop.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. If a GUI supports dual monitors the desktop spans both -- not by default, by definition. I can't think of any other way that dual monitors could work, except MS DOS style: with applications that are individually programmed to support them. I don't think that would even be possible in Windows.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    It is my understanding that you want one monitor to be remoted into your work PC and the other to be for local apps. I don't know if this will work but in Win10 you can easily create multiple desktops and move a desktop to a second monitor.

You could also try Desktops. It is part of the Sysinternals utilities from Microsoft and should work on Win7. Not sure if it allows you to move a desktop to a second monitor.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, no. I want both monitors to be remoted to work PC. Forgive me if I sound (read) exasperated, but I've said that twice now, once in the initial post and again in the post immediately preceding yours. Also, if I wanted to remote just one monitor, there would be no question to ask.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    There is a Win10 Enterprise version. I don't know about the Remote Desktop capabilities though. You can get a 90 day free trial on the Enterprise SKU at Evaluate Windows 10 Enterprise.

Joe