3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 on a USB drive

I saw a place where I could download Win 10 and put it on a USB flash drive. I could then use this to upgrade my Win 7 PC's. If I do it this way vs the MS invite, will I need the product key during the install?

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I believe that if you start the Win10 upgrade process from within Windows rather than boot from the USB drive you won't need a key.

Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Make sure the place you get the W10 USB image is Microsoft!
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    To clarify, if you are using the the USB key you are NOT using the MS invite.

As stated by Joe, from within Windows you start the upgrade, but do it by clicking setup.exe on the flash drive.

Thanks

Angry Can't GWX from bootable media

I've been having trouble getting my Sony Vaio VPCM121AX netbook to upgrade to Win10. It gets so far then stops with a blank screen. If I reboot it, it continues to about 85% then freezes again. If I reboot it restores Win7. So I burned a Win10 DVD from a MS image and booted from that and I was able to successfully install Win10, but it wanted a Key. I did not find an option to do a dual boot, but maybe I missed something. The Win7 key would not work so I restored Win7 from an image backup I made with Clonezilla. I would expect the same thing with a USB install. You'll need a product key because it thinks it's a new install not the free upgrade.
    Last edited by d1hartman; 2015-08-10 at 19:58. Reason: typo, add more information and title

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by d1hartman View Post
    I've been having trouble getting my Sony Vaio VPCM121AX netbook to upgrade to Win10. It gets so far then stops with a blank screen. If I reboot it, it continues to about 85% then freezes again. If I reboot it restores Win7. So I burned a Win10 DVD from a MS image and booted from that and I was able to successfully install Win10, but it wanted a Key. I did not find an option to do a dual boot, but maybe I missed something. The Win7 key would not work so I restored Win7 from an image backup I made with Clonezilla. I would expect the same thing with a USB install. You'll need a product key because it thinks it's a new install not the free upgrade.
    Don't boot from the DVD. The upgrade has to be started from within Windows 7 by running setup.exe on the DVD. Then it authenticates the upgrade and won't need a key.