5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A trip around the Windows 10 Start menu

BRIEFING SESSION

A trip around the Windows 10 Start menu

By Lincoln Spector

Yes! After massive howls of complaint from Windows 8 users, Microsoft put the familiar start menu back in Windows 10.

Familiar, but not identical to the start menu we learned to love in Win7 (and as far back as Windows 95). It's going to take some time to learn how to use the new menu and how to configure it to your tastes and habits.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/briefing-session/a-trip-around-the-windows-10-start-menu/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ugh! This hybrid Start Menu brings back too many ugly memories of Win 8. I'd been using Start8 previously in order to get a familiar and uncomplicated Start Menu, and I just upgraded to Start10. Very happy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jsmithw For This Useful Post:

frapper (2015-08-12)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm still waiting for my Windows 10 D/L on my spare "play with" laptop, but I've been reading plenty about it in the meantime. The one thing that strikes me about every new Windows OS is how menus, lists, controls, settings, etc. are constantly re-arranged and relocated. It's as if they say THIS is finally the best arrangement! But it never is, and it's changed again next time. Every time. Users are efficient at finding what they need because they are familiar with it and changing the location and method does not help. Don't say I'm "against change"; I simply haven't seen that any configuration changes have improved my ability to navigate anything in the past 15 years.
    So when you get familiar with the "new" Start Menu, the next one will be a "better" one, right?