Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10: Good, but is it good enough?

TOP STORY

By Woody Leonhard

As even cave-dwelling monks probably know by now, Windows 10 is out for all the world to see and it appears to be a qualified success.

Is downloading and installing the new OS a no-brainer? If you use Win8, the answer is almost assuredly yes; but if you're a Win7 fan, some serious considerations await.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/windows-10-good-but-is-it-good-enough (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

elch (2015-08-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is it possible to show menus in the Edge browser ?

Rob

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 ultimate. Under all Apps I have Windows Media player!!! which appears to be the same as I had in Win 7. It plays, streams and has all my settings as before. I keep reading that it is no longer available when you update to Win 10 ????

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It sure would be useful if there could be a tool to analyze if a machine is capable of upgrading to W10; hardware, applications...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to razuh For This Useful Post:

mc2fran (2015-08-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As a cable cutter I rely on Windows Media Center and HD HomeRuns to record OTA broadcasts. It is my understanding Windows 10 cuts Media Center altogether. So this is a BIG negative for me to switch to Win 10 without any real advantages to Win 7 Pro, other than lack of future support. I may have to create a Linux box just for OTA recording...??

New Lounger
    Thanks
    so "upgrading" keeps Media center since it is already there, but fresh install does not include?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Total fail on Dell Core i5 business-class laptop with Intel HD graphics; black screen after update after Windows 10 brought down a new video driver.

Windows 10 was still alive even with the blank screen -- Remote desktop was still enabled and the machine could be accessed that way.

A clean install using a USB stick with the Wireless disabled resulted in a working system UNTIL the network connected and Windows update downloaded a new Intel HD Graphics update. As soon as the update hit, the screen went black with no way to recover; remote desktop was disabled by default on a clean install.

The workaround was to do a clean install again with network disabled, enable Remote Desktop, then connect to network, allow updates to kill the display, then use remote desktop to install an older Intel driver.

But here's the thing -- what if this update had come 6 months from now? Imagine your computer just going dark after Microsoft ships down a bad update.

It's not just a theoretical -- it already happened to thousands of mainstream Dell, HP and Lenovo laptops using the most common graphics system (on-chip Intel HD graphics). There must be millions of those laptops out there waiting to be nuked.

Apple can use this sort of update strategy because the hardware targets are well known. The Windows ecosystem is too diverse. Remember, this particular fail is not with some esoteric scanner, it's not with some outdated video card, it's Intel core graphics on a mainstream Core i5 laptop!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RobCr View Post
    Is it possible to show menus in the Edge browser ?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by elch View Post
    I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 ultimate. Under all Apps I have Windows Media player!!! which appears to be the same as I had in Win 7. It plays, streams and has all my settings as before. I keep reading that it is no longer available when you update to Win 10 ????
    Center, not Player.

Quote Originally Posted by mpmajor6 View Post
    so "upgrading" keeps Media center since it is already there, but fresh install does not include?
    He said Player, not Center.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

bobprimak (2015-08-06),Petero (2015-08-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Two things I noticed right off with my windows 10 install, my brand new ASUS USB3 motherboard disc (M5A78L-M) was useless, with the standalone install, I couldn't get online because the install didn't install the bridge drivers, oh boy. Make sure you click on the ENG symbol on the install as well, assuming it's your English, oops, its ENG (UK) which will change your Reclusa keyboard @ symbol into an * symbol, which will keep you from logging in anywhere, that was fun. Want to watch Netflix on Edge, too bad. Error code, break out a different browser. I installed 10 next on an updated 7 fresh install and found that they wanted and insisted on a product key, even though I did an OEM disk install which doesn't use one. They accepted my upgrade windows 7 product key (which I paid over 130 bucks for) at least. One Cloud offered to back up some files to my other hard drive. I already did, wow. The shell is much improved, and .cmd is much improved as well. Ran chkdsk /f and found the usual screen replaced with a large percent done. No details any more...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    LOL OK it is "Windows Media Center" (that i want to keep)...I just use it to "play" my OTA TV recordings.
    Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Woody's judgement. On a scale of 1 -10, I would consider W10 at 4, which is below average. This is mainly because of the "Start" and its apps. I am using the desktop which works fine and use Start only, if there is no other way. It is disappointing what MR. Nadella as the ultimate responsible individual has done here. It is not what was promised, and I doubt whether W 10 will be successful as he believes it to be.

Here are some examples where I am critical of W 10:

1)First "Mail", I am running constantly into synching problems, i.e. with the this dumb message "Something went wrong...", no explanation but an error code 0x80070022 and other. Who put such a dumb cryptic message in there. By now MS should be in the position to explain errors to users and their solution, it cannot be sooo difficult.

2) I do not use Edge. I am unable to work it. I'd rather use Chrome or Firefox. Edge has to be greatly improved before it is in a workable state.

3) Some little things like setting colors is a mess. It is almost not possible to set colors to the individual liking. But this is only a small thing but points to the ignorance of the MS people.

4) They made the settings even more complicated. Making a setting rarely makes the user aware of consequences, and after he did a settings wonders why things do work as expected.

Again, I am not happy with w 10, and I wonder whether MS is going back to Ballmer's times!?
    Last edited by MKR; 2015-08-06 at 12:54.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MKR For This Useful Post:

mc2fran (2015-08-14)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by razuh View Post
    It sure would be useful if there could be a tool to analyze if a machine is capable of upgrading to W10; hardware, applications...
    The MS updates do that, but don't always get it right. One reason for waiting a bit before updating.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

By Woody Leonhard

Towards the end of this column, in discussing whether to upgrade to Win10, Woody writes: "There are really no significant downsides for most Win7 users."

As a representative of those readers for whom Windows is not a profession but simply a useful tool for getting things done in other fields of life, it seems important to point out that Windows 7 basically seems to work fine, users have put learning time into it and developed workable habits, and it takes a big divot out of life to be forced to move on to something new. This is a very big "downside".

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Leander2 For This Useful Post:

mc2fran (2015-08-14)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm disappointed with this entire issue, starting with Woody's article. Not because it deals entirely with Win 10, but it doesn't do so honestly in two senses. The most immediate is Woody's (and some of the others') description of Windows 8 as if he's been asleep the whole time since it's release, and didn't notice the programs that allow users the Win 7 start menu and *desktop,* but with improvements in efficiency that Win 8 brought. It's as he thinks every win 8.x user has been using the "Metro interface" and its tile GUI all this time. A lot of us like lists and icons and really don't like tiles - by a lot! - and are not seeing anything about being able to get rid of the tiles, let alone that it would be an issue to discuss.

The second sense of dishonesty is that Windows 10 has been announced as a service since Day 1, which in capitalist terms - after all, Microsoft is a capitalist corporation - always means customers pay. The only question being how this capitalist firm would implement it. As some non-Windows Secrets writers noticed, Microsoft was being vague about it, although they most certainly had at least a general plan. Now, the specifics are starting to come out, with pay for basic add-ons, pay for reinstalls, and who knows what else, getting uglier by the day. And Windows Secrets continues to have nothing to say.

Thanks
    highstream, could you give some links where MS have said that we will have to pay for basic add-ons and reinstalls please.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast