Thanks

Windows 10 Licensing Question?

Hi All,

Does anyone know about Windows 10 Licensing?

I ask because here is my situation, I have a valid Windows 7 License, on July 29th I upgraded my system to Windows 10 of course still with a Valid license. What if I download Windows 10 ISO now from Here and do a "Clean Install" of Win 10, is my Windows 7 Product key still Valid with this Win 10 install?

I'm NOT in this situation, this is just a What IF question, wondering *IF* anyone knows...

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks
    Caveat first. Backup your current Windows 10 installation before you try a clean install, preferably using drive imaging.

Your valid Windows 7 Product Key should be recognized when you do a clean install, and allow activation of Windows 10. But again, don't attempt a clean install without first creating a drive image of your current installation so that you won't lose what you already have.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thank you, like I posted, I'm not in the situation, just a what if, but I do a nightly drive image...Glad to know I can clean install most likely

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you are doing a clean install over the current Win10 install you don't need a key. When you get to the point in the install where a key is requested just skip it. Microsoft has recorded your Win10 key and it will be used to automatically activate your clean install.

BTW, your Win10 upgrade took over your Win7 license. The Win7 license should not be valid anymore.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe,

What if I try the install on an Older computer which never had 7 or 10 installed, just asking, is 7 license key no longer valid? What key could I use?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The hardware ID registration is explained quite well here: Windows 10 Tip: Associate Your PC with Your Free Windows 10 License

(Except the headline makes it sound like something you need to do; but if you upgraded to activated Win10, you already did it.)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

A1ex (2015-08-06),Steve1209 (2015-08-05)

Thanks
    Thank You, question answered 100%