Thanks

Same "Windows 8 Two-Step" Bootmgr

If one doesn't dual boot, this is likely not an issue. I was booting Windows 7 Ultimate/8.1 Pro and now I'm booting Windows 8.1 Pro/10 Pro. I'll be doing a lot of back and forth until I get 10 Pro setup the way I want it.

I first noticed the two-step with Windows 8. When booting, Windows 8 would partially load before presenting the Boot Menu. If I chose Windows 8, it continued to boot, rather quickly. But if I chose Windows 7, it would go all the way back to the UEFI screen to start booting Windows 7.

The Windows 7 bootmgr doesn't work that way; it presents the Boot Menu soon after the UEFI gets the hardware up to speed. Make a selection, and it just continues to boot into the OS of choice. So to get rid of the Windows 8 two-step, I replaced the bootmgr in the EFI partition with the Windows 7 bootmgr.

When I recognized that the Windows 10 bootmgr had a very similar two-step, I replaced it with the Windows 7 bootmgr, too. Now I'm booting much more crisply when I want to boot into Windows 8.1.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How did you replace the boot manager?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    How did you replace the boot manager?
    The first step is create a partition image of the existing EFI partition. The second step is to use DISKPART to assign the EFI partition a drive letter. Then you can copy the Windows 7 bootmgr to the EFI partition. Once it's copied, use DISKPART again to remove the drive letter. Be sure to remove the drive letter before you reboot.

I did it this time by restoring the EFI partition from my Windows 7/8 full drive image, then editing the BCD store to change the description for Windows 7 to Windows 10.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-08-06 at 09:07. Reason: clarity/safety
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

wavy (2015-08-06)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    bbearren,

Have you considered EasyBCD & iReboot both free. They both survived the Win 10 update on my main laptop which before the update was running 2 copies of Win 7 HP (one with Office Pro 2010 the other with O2003 Pro). I now have Win 10 Home & Win 7 HP and the boot/reboot process is the same as it was previously. However, this is not a UEFI/Secure Boot system!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    My system is UEFI/GPT and boots through the EFI partition where the active bootmgr is located. I haven't enabled Secure Boot.

I've used EasyBCD in the past (it's still installed), but I've also puzzled my way through some of the BCDEDIT commands so that I can do some of the basic functions through it. Windows 10 booted fine after I replaced the bootmgr, but the menu offered it as Windows 7. All I needed to do was boot into 10 and edit the description to say Windows 10 Pro; bcdedit /set {current} description "Windows 10 Pro" (quotes are needed if there are spaces).
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-08-07 at 23:15. Reason: clarity

Unleash Windows