New Lounger
    Thanks

Question CCleaner & Windows 10 issue

I had successfully upgraded from windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on my Toshiba Laptop with i7 3630 processor, 8GB RAM and ITB HDD. After the upgrade I ran Cleaner and it deleted 3GB of files. I also used the registry clean up without taking any back up as I always did without any issue on Win 8.1. However now my PC has become very slow and unstable. Tried to go back to 8.1 but got a message that the files needed for downgrade have been deleted from this system. Hope to solve this problem with the help of forum and restore my PC to good health.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Re-install W10?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dayalds View Post
    I had successfully upgraded from windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on my Toshiba Laptop with i7 3630 processor, 8GB RAM and ITB HDD. After the upgrade I ran Cleaner and it deleted 3GB of files. I also used the registry clean up without taking any back up as I always did without any issue on Win 8.1. However now my PC has become very slow and unstable. Tried to go back to 8.1 but got a message that the files needed for downgrade have been deleted from this system. Hope to solve this problem with the help of forum and restore my PC to good health.
    Have you created a Restore Point you can revert to. I noticed mine was turned off after my update to WIN10. In Start hit Settings and type Restore in "Find a setting" then hit Create A Restore Point to see if you can try that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KIWIpeteW View Post
    Have you created a Restore Point you can revert to. I noticed mine was turned off after my update to WIN10. In Start hit Settings and type Restore in "Find a setting" then hit Create A Restore Point to see if you can try that.
    My system restore was off by default with the win 10 install but after awhile it was "magically" back on for C : drive.

After the upgrade I ran Cleaner and it deleted 3GB of files. I also used the registry clean up without taking any back up as I always did without any issue on Win 8.1
    Glad you posted that because I see a ton of files in the registry cleanup of CCleaner after win 10 upgrade. Luckily I decided to wait before deleting them.
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2015-08-06 at 10:21.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Yet another example of why registry cleaning for no good reason is bad.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Re-install W10?

cheers, Paul
    Would reinstalling Win 10 on top of the existing Win 10 not then make Win 10 the new Windows.old folder and overwrite the 8.1 one ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Would reinstalling Win 10 on top of the existing Win 10 not then make Win 10 the new Windows.old folder and overwrite the 8.1 one ?
    That will be interesting to know.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Who cares, you created an image before the upgrade right?

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Who cares, you created an image before the upgrade right?

cheers, Paul
    Yes, but if you do the roll back afterwards, are you going to get your original OS or the first upgrade version ?

Thanks
    The original clean up probably removed the Windows.old folder, hence the large size of the required clean up reported. There is also a large folder containing installation files left behind after installation of the OS. I don't know if CCleaner would have removed this as I didn't try it. I think It best to use Disk Cleaner to remove these files before running CCleaner. Disk Cleaner, did, however, leave behind some empty Windows.old folders which had to be deleted separately.
    I also ran the registry cleaner utility, which indeed, produced a large number of entries. I analysed them and found only one dubious entry, which key, if removed, would have broken Google Earth. After deselecting and white listing this entry, as always, I created a back up before deleting the remaining keys, experiencing no subsequent problems. I surmise, therefore, that keys relating to an installed program, which was set to run at boot, were deleted, causing the problems you experienced.
    Due to the nature of registry cleaners, its always essential to make a back up before deleting in case problems are encountered.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I was hoping the image was made before the W10 upgrade, but a no response is expected.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was hoping the image was made before the W10 upgrade, but a no response is expected.

cheers, Paul
    I don't know if anyone has actually tried that yet and is probably safer to do the roll back though the OS or the back up created before the upgrade before trying the upgrade again.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    1. Only use the Cleaner or CCleaner. Always advocate not messing w/ the registry with anything.

2. Do not do the Upgrade, again. Just take the Win10 ISO and clean install. Now, that the Upgrade has been done, you can do a Custom install on that same machine using a Win10 ISO DVD. That can be made using this HERE

Thanks
    Or if you have an xp box you can download the iso at that link!!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.