2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorting items by color

Hi guys,

Back from holiday and ready to improve my document some more. Some things are going on the back burner for now, but have other ideas that should be faster and easier to implement.
    I was wondering if someone can help me how I should go about sorting the content of a cell range by color and then within each color alphabetically?

The column "F" can have items with text color of Black, Blue, Green, Orange, Purple and Red... When typing them in, the color is assigned automatically already, but the order can be random. I am guessing there should be a color sorting first, then an alphabetical sort one by one within each color. Also the preferred color order is Red, Blue, Orange, Green, Black and Purple.

Thank you for looking,
    Ferenc

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found something that does most of the job except for the color sorting in the proper order...
    Any thoughts on how I would modify this to result in: Red, Blue, Orange, Green, Purple & Black?

Code:
    Sub Sort_by_FontColor()    
        Application.ScreenUpdating = 0
        [a1:w99].Sort key1:=[a1], Header:=xlYes, Order1:=xlAscending
        Columns("b").Insert
        For i = 2 To Range("a65536").End(xlUp).Row
            Cells(1, 2) = "Color Index"
            Cells(i, 2) = Cells(i, 1).Font.ColorIndex
        Next
        Range("a2:" & Chr(64 + Cells(1, 1).End(xlToRight).Column) & Range("A1").End(xlDown).Row).Sort Range("b2"), xlAscending
        Columns("b").Delete

End Sub

Lounger
    Thanks
    You could allocate a value based on the cell colour and then sort by that. I've done it with VB standard colours, but you could use the RGB values of your particular colour to allocate them, e.g.
    Code:
    Sub Sort_by_CellColor()
        Dim i As Integer
        Application.ScreenUpdating = 0
        [a1:w99].Sort key1:=[a1], Header:=xlYes, Order1:=xlAscending
        Columns("b").Insert
        For i = 2 To Range("a65536").End(xlUp).Row
            Cells(1, 2) = "Colour Code"
                If Cells(i, 1).Interior.Color = vbRed Then
                    Cells(i, 2) = 1
                    ElseIf Cells(i, 1).Interior.Color = vbBlue Then Cells(i, 2) = 2
                    ElseIf Cells(i, 1).Interior.Color = vbYellow Then Cells(i, 2) = 3
                    ElseIf Cells(i, 1).Interior.Color = vbGreen Then Cells(i, 2) = 4
                    ElseIf Cells(i, 1).Interior.Color = vbBlack Then Cells(i, 2) = 5
                    ElseIf Cells(i, 1).Interior.Color = vbMagenta Then Cells(i, 2) = 6
                    Else: Cells(i, 2) = 7 'to capture non-standard colours
            End If
        Next
        Range("a2:" & Chr(64 + Cells(1, 1).End(xlToRight).Column) & Range("A1").End(xlDown).Row).Sort Range("b2"), xlAscending
        Columns("b").Delete
    End Sub

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Changed "Interior" to "Font" and replaced vbColor with the numeric value of each and it is working like a charm

Thank you