Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to access Outlook

I am running windows 10 recently upgraded from 8.1, initially I could access Outlook (office10) but now when I click the icon it starts to load and then "unable to open files, access denied you do not have authority to open C/.....outlookfiles/outlook.pst"
    I cannot access my email and nothing I do seems to work. I have reinstalled Office 10, I have gone back to a previous restore point, I have changed my password and then changed it back to the original but continue to get the same message. All the other Office10 apps work normally.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd be willing to bet the program is Office 2010 [individual applications are version 14] as version 10 of the Office applications is quite old, suite is Office XP/2002. Office 2003 applications are version 11.

Might try the repair shown here, see if the Inbox has a problem:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/287497
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-08-06 at 10:47.

New Lounger
    Thanks

outlook not accessible

Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I'd be willing to bet the program is Office 2010 [individual applications are version 14] as version 10 of the Office applications is quite old, suite is Office XP/2002. Office 2003 applications are version 11.

Might try the repair shown here, see if the Inbox has a problem:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/287497
    Thanks - I've tried your solution but the Scanpst.exe could not fix the problem or even open the pst file. I even replaced the file with an earlier version and it still could not open it. I t is beginning to look as though I need to take the PC back to a clean install and then reinstall all my software.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You could try Take Ownership on the file and see if helps.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - I'll try that meanwhile I have gained access by setting up a new person on my PC and this gives me access to my emails but not my contact list.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnlee View Post
    Thanks - I'll try that meanwhile I have gained access by setting up a new person on my PC and this gives me access to my emails but not my contact list.
    The contact list should be associated with the other account, you can't access it from an account it is not associated with.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I came here with exactly your problem. Outlook 2010 on Win 10. By screwing around with things I found I can open Outlook after moving the .PST files to a new folder. Outlook says it can't find them then gives me the opportunity to locate them, one by one, which I do. Then Outlook opens.

But I can't send or receive any messages.When I test an account, Outlook says it's sent a test message and is configured properly. And indeed I can receive the test message on my cell phone. But Outlook doesn't send or receive anything -- I have a couple of test messages in my outbox.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you tried to take ownership per post #4?

Do you get any send/receive errors?

Have you turned on Outlook logging to capture what more detail?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Take ownership per #4 just gets me to a webpage not available or similar error in Firefox, Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers. Yes, I get all kinds of error messages when I try to send or receive. How do I access the logs in Outlook 2010?

Update: I got Take Ownership and ran it on the Outlook data folders (I seem to have had a problem with my LAN driver, now fixed). No difference in that I still can't send or receive email. Test messages go out sometimes when I try to repair my Outlook email account but Outlook won't retrieve them.

I still need advice on how to access the log files. Thanks.
    Last edited by Erik47; 2015-08-29 at 17:33.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    What are the error messages? More detail including error codes if possible.

Look at File | Options | Advanced | Other to enable logging.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, now where do I find the logs?

Administrator
    Thanks
    See the bottom of the article at How to get a Microsoft Outlook log file for file locations.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i had the same problem as noted above when I upgraded to Win10 on one of my pc machines, but not on the other. I was able to make things work by updating the permissions for the folder that contained the message store files. However when I restarted the machine I would then lose permissions. Eventually the Outlook profile got messed up and things seemed to be getting worse.

Eventually I gave up and switched to Thunderbird with which I am quote happy. See more in my post in the Alternative Email Forum.

New Lounger
    Thanks

"Access denied"

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlee View Post
    I am running windows 10 recently upgraded from 8.1, initially I could access Outlook (office10) but now when I click the icon it starts to load and then "unable to open files, access denied you do not have authority to open C/.....outlookfiles/outlook.pst"
    I cannot access my email and nothing I do seems to work. I have reinstalled Office 10, I have gone back to a previous restore point, I have changed my password and then changed it back to the original but continue to get the same message. All the other Office10 apps work normally.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    I had the same message come up a few days ago with Adobe Lightroom CC, which had been running fine.
    It took a whole day to resolve.
    First I found that all the files needed to run Lightroom had been changed to "read only". However, changing this did not solve the problem.
    Then I found in Permissions that most of the boxes had been reset to remove the check mark.
    Adding the check mark to permissions solved the problem.
    Apparently a Windows 10 or Windows Defender update had changed the permissions in the file folders needed to open Lightroom. Several updates for those two items had been the only recent updates in my update history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast