Thanks

Windows 10 fails to boot first time.

My recently purchased Acer laptop, with pre-installed 8.1, upgraded to Windows 10 smoothly and is working well, except that it won't boot at the first attempt. Powering off, using the power button, and powering back on (sometimes more than once) works. I cannot find an answer to this problem. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

From memory it was OK for a bit after the upgrade so it may have been something I tweaked or added that started the problem. Both Acer and Microsoft Support recommend going back to 8.1 to determine whether it is a hardware or software problem. This is not a front-line machine and I can live with the problem and try to find a solution before the re-instate deadline expires.

NB: This issue first posted in thread "Quick and flawless upgrade".

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Didn't you keep track of what you tweaked? Did you backup the system after Win10 was installed? Did you enable System Restore?

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Didn't you keep track of what you tweaked? Did you backup the system after Win10 was installed? Did you enable System Restore?

Joe
    I didn't really knowingly 'tweak' anything and the only app I have added was after the problem was noticed. I am pretty sure the first Windows Updates arrived after the error. Furthermore the error was evident before I set up my Backup and Restore (Windows 7). This problem developed very quickly after the upgrade to Windows 10 completed - definitely in the first day.

I found references to a similar problem with other versions of Windows, but no solutions, and I wondered if anyone else had come across this issue.

Update:

I think I found the solution in the Microsoft Community, where this is not an unknown issue. Recommendation is to turn off the Fast Startup feature. This is done by going to Control Panel>Power Options and selecting 'Choose what the power buttons do'. Then select 'Change settings that are currently unavailable'. Lower down on the new window uncheck 'Fast Startup'.

Initial indications are that this has solved the problem, which affects 'Shut Down' and 'Hibernate', but not 'Sleep'.
    Last edited by acbeaton; 2015-08-06 at 19:58. Reason: Update.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to acbeaton For This Useful Post:

triberman (2016-02-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by acbeaton View Post
    I didn't really knowingly 'tweak' anything and the only app I have added was after the problem was noticed. I am pretty sure the first Windows Updates arrived after the error. Furthermore the error was evident before I set up my Backup and Restore (Windows 7). This problem developed very quickly after the upgrade to Windows 10 completed - definitely in the first day.

I found references to a similar problem with other versions of Windows, but no solutions, and I wondered if anyone else had come across this issue.

Update:

I think I found the solution in the Microsoft Community, where this is not an unknown issue. Recommendation is to turn off the Fast Startup feature. This is done by going to Control Panel>Power Options and selecting 'Choose what the power buttons do'. Then select 'Change settings that are currently unavailable'. Lower down on the new window uncheck 'Fast Startup'.

Initial indications are that this has solved the problem, which affects 'Shut Down' and 'Hibernate', but not 'Sleep'.
    Thank you for posting this. My new PC was failing on the first boot every time with an array of errors. Your Fast Startup fix rectified the problem completely.