Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Neverending windows 10 install errors 80070005 and 0x80070057

(Note: have posted on Microsoft Community Site - with no reply's to date)

I want to get Win 10 on my PC's but I keep getting these errors when The Win update fails and the Microsoft MediaCreationTools don't work either - so I can't try any installs!

I have the "Get Windows 10" icon on both my Windows 7 laptop and windows 8.1 Desktop PC's and would like to get the ISO files to control when I upgrade the OS's.

I've tried the Microsoft MediaCreationToolx64 on both PC's but nothing happens when I run the program!!!! I'm not sure if the tool is supposed to point me to the Microsoft download site or initiate the download operation after I select whether I want an immediate update or save the file to disk for DVD or USB burning/saving. Is this a normal response? The Microsoft page is thin on exactly what to expect from running this tool!

Since trying to get the tool working, I've let my laptop try to upgrade to Win 10 at least 22 times (60GB of downloads) in the last 4 days always ending with the error message in attachment #1 (Code 80070005).Image

Then I ran the Microsoft Diagnostic App (WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab) and the first pass resulted in attachment #2 - With 2 problems found:
    1. Service Registration is missing or corrupt, and,
    2. Windows Update error 0x80070057(2015-08-03-T-02_03_54A)

After several more update failures, I re-ran the Microsoft Diagnostic App with the results shown in attachment #3 - only 1 problem found now -
    1. Windows Update error 0x80070057(2015-08-03-T-02_03_54A)
    I next ran a full checkdisk during booting, and no errors were found.

I ran SFC /scannow and found nothing.

I manually reset Windows Update components (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058), still no joy. This took forever with all the manual net stops and reregistering commands - although several had no entry point or were never loaded so couldn't be re-registered. Some examples are below.

What do I need to do to get an ISO image of Win 10 so I can update both of my PC's and maybe get the update app to complete so I can get my PC ready for Win 10?

Update Aug 5, 2015

Still no luck up over 30 download download install failures to date.

I tried a procedures suggested in https://social.technet.microsoft.com...generalhttp://

as shown by the following screen grab and still have the same problem!!!!

Is there no fix for this problem or if access to an ISO download might allow the install to complete successfully when the Microsoft MediaCreationToolx64 doesn't work?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quick contribution here- I had a very difficult time upgrading an older W7 HP laptop that's critical to my office. It kicked out each time with similar error messages. Half based on a thread I read, I went to msconfig/ System Configuration and selected the Selective Startup option. Under Services, I found a couple of security services that had been inserted by my credit card processing company (with no notice to me). Temporarily disabling those services and rebooting allowed the process to complete; using msconfig again after the upgrade allowed me to return to a normal startup and card processing to proceed as normal.

Many hours of frustration up to that point, however! Your setup will be different, but look for security-related services to disable temporarily. Hope this helps someone.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I second that general notion of disabling anything vaguely security related. I had 30 upgrade failures before I uninstalled EMET (as I don't believe it can be easily disabled).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies but still no resolution.
    I never had EMET on my computer and cannot find any security (or other unknown services) running as listed in msconfig!
    I did a safe reboot with network services and ran "WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab" program and it said it "fixed" the error "Windows Update error 0x80070057(2015-08-03-T-02_03_54A)".
    Rebooted normally and tried to update Win 10 download (Safe mode said it did not support updates) and the error returned!!
    Question- exactly what is Microsoft's MediaCreationToolx64 supposed to do -trigger the Win 10 update download?

Thanks
    First, you need to be logged onto an account that is a member of the Administrators group; you'll get unspecified failures from a Standard user account using Run as administrator. The Media Creation Tool downloads a small executable to your hard drive; you need to know where that is stored. After that download is complete (only takes a couple minutes) you launch the executable from your hard drive. You can choose "Run" while still on the MS web page, or close the browser and launch the tool from where it's stored on your hard drive.

If you want to save the ISO to a bootable USB thumb drive, you must have that drive inserted in a USB slot on your PC before you launch the download tool. Once you launch the download tool, there will be a pause before anything noticeable happens. In my case, it didn't show anything on the desktop at first, but there was an icon on the taskbar. I clicked that and got a dialog box on my desktop asking for my choice of language, etc. After those selections comes the selection for the target for the download. If you select ISO, it will begin the download. If you select USB, it will ask you to select from the USB drives that are plugged into the computer.

It will download the ESD file before it starts doing anything at all to the USB. After the ESD and supporting files have been downloaded, it will begin to load the USB with the bootable ISO file. Once the USB has finished, you can then launch the upgrade process from the USB. If you selected ISO, you'll first need to burn that to a DVD before you can launch the upgrade.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Windows Updates doesn't work in Safe Mode etc.

Trying the upgrade in a clean boot rather than just looking for particular items to stop would be a better way to go.

Have you tried running the .NET Framework Repair Tool while trying the upgrade ?

Also go Start - type services.msc and press enter then check that BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) is set to Automatic (Delayed) and is showing as Started.

It could be showing as Manual but right clicking on it and selecting Properties will enable you to use the dropdown to change that to Auto (Delayed) then click on Start.

If it fails to start then I have something else for you to check, but a reboot and retrying the upgrade may be more positive.

I hope you are on unlimited downloads as I am

Event Viewer may have some more specific details as to what is failing - check the errors with the date and time stamps of the failures.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    All my downloads are directed to a "Download" folder I created on my D: drive.
    Is the small executable the 18.7Mb file called Microsoft MediaCreationToolx64.exe?
    If so, when I run it Nothing happens. If not, where would this small executable be located?
    BTW- I only have one account on my PC and it is listed as administrator in the User accounts.

Thanks
    Yes, that's the name of the executable file. That file and the site it comes from is only for downloading the ISO, not for upgrading your installation. As I said there is a pause before it shows any activity.

When you run the file are you using right-click and Run as Administrator?
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-08-07 at 14:05.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jpegman View Post
    All my downloads are directed to a "Download" folder I created on my D: drive.
    Is the small executable the 18.7Mb file called Microsoft MediaCreationToolx64.exe?
    If so, when I run it Nothing happens. If not, where would this small executable be located?
    BTW- I only have one account on my PC and it is listed as administrator in the User accounts.
    Just a shot in the dark here but have you tried signing into Hidden Admin Account. That worked for me after all the same troubles as you.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post

When you run the file are you using right-click and Run as Administrator?
    Yes, and nothing happens!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    How does one sign into "Hidden Admin Account" - the only account in the user accounts is my name?User accounts.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jpegman View Post
    How does one sign into "Hidden Admin Account" - the only account in the user accounts is my name?User accounts.jpg

You right click the windows in the bottom left and click on Command Prompt (Admin).Then print net user administrator /active:yes Then hit enter. Then right click bottom left again and in the top left click on the administrator . Dont worry as you dont need a password for it. Screenshot (56).png
    Copy and Paste this into the Command Prompt
    net user administrator /active:yes
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2015-08-08 at 00:42.

Thanks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KIWIpeteW For This Useful Post:

gws (2015-08-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had innumerable install failures of Win 10 using both the download install and the ISO approach. Neither has worked. Failures abound!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bancroft1 View Post
    I have had innumerable install failures of Win 10 using both the download install and the ISO approach. Neither has worked. Failures abound!
    It could be that you have other problems on your computer.

Have you read my Post #6 ?

As suggested, Shane Croft's Windows Repair program may do it for you as that addresses other problems as well - and even MS techs have had to resort to using this program to resolve Win 10 installation problems.

Create a full external system image which will save you from having to back up the registry and/or rely on restore points then go to http://www.tweaking.com/ and check/uncheck the boxes that relate to your OS version - it could save what hair you may have left

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast