4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Product Key Not Accepted On Windows 7

I have an older Emachines laptop, it's at least 5 years old and is no longer my primary computer. When I bought it, it had Windows 7 on it...sort of. Apparently it originally had Vista installed on it and then they added files to upgrade it to Windows 7. This all run automatically when I first started it up.

I had problems with it after a few years and bought a new machine about a year and a half ago. After getting settled in with the new machine I decided to re-format the old machine. I didn't have Windows 7 disks, so I downloaded Windows 7 from Digital River. I found the Windows 7 product key on my computer somehow, I don't remember how I did that.

So, I re-formatted and installed Windows 7, using the product key that I had. It seemed to work fine, then I got a notice that it wasn't a legit copy. This was after a few months. I didn't use this machine that often, so I don't know how long that took. I found out how to reset the REARM counter and that seemed to make it happy.

Now, I would like to upgrade it to Windows 10 and it is much more aggressively telling me that I may have a counterfeit copy and won't let me reserve or download Windows 10. I did try re-entering the Windows 7 product key that I had. I also tried entering the Vista product key that was on the bottom of the laptop but it wouldn't accept that. I contacted Microsoft by phone and they were nice but ultimately not helpful. The manufacturer of my laptop won't even talk to me, since I am out of warranty. (I'm sure they will talk to me for a fee, but, then I might as well buy a copy of Windows)

Any suggestions on what to do now or did I brick it? Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sign up as a Windows Insider for frequent beta builds (which just became possible again), or buy Windows 10 for $119-$199. There are no other alternatives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You have a legitimate license and copy of Win7. It should work. The COA key (in battery compartment?) was put there just for your type of problem to get your purchase back up and running.

My understanding is that vendor (eMachines, aka Gateway, aka Acer aka ???) licensed OEM copies of Win7 are not eligible for the free Win10 upgrade. I could be wrong as I have not paid much attention to it since I am forgoing Win10.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    My understanding is that vendor (eMachines, aka Gateway, aka Acer aka ???) licensed OEM copies of Win7 are not eligible for the free Win10 upgrade. I could be wrong as I have not paid much attention to it since I am forgoing Win10.
    Yes, you're wrong. The vast majority of Windows computers have OEM licenses.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-08-13 at 15:17.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So vendor licensed OS Win7 and 8 are eligible for update?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    So vendor licensed OS Win7 and 8 are eligible for update?
    Yes, why not?

Thanks
    donebb, I'm not sure if Windows 10 will give you this option, but previous versions of Windows did:

If you own a copy of Windows on DVD, then when you do the upgrade, put that disk into the DVD drive. It will see that copy of Windows as the legitimate one, and it will then allow you to proceed with the upgrade.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    donebb, if you have a legitimate upgrade to Windows 7 on the emachines computer that you bought new, then you should be able to upgrade to Windows 10.

The problem is that some resellers know how to install and activate Windows 7, without buying a license. I don't know how they do it, but everything seems to work fine, until you try to do something like a clean reinstall or an upgrade, then Microsoft checks it and declares it Not Genuine.

At this point, I don't think it's certain that you don't have a valid install of Windows 7. There is a problem with having

1) an OEM version on Windows, and a retail license key, or
    2) a Retail version of Windows and an OEM license key.

If the emachines computer had an OEM upgrade to Windows 7, and you clean installed a retail version that you got from Digital River, and then you entered the emachines OEM upgrade license key into the retail version of Windows 7, Microsoft will not accept it.

As you have discovered, most OEMs are not interested in helping with this problem.

Since you don't know what version of Windows 7 (OEM or Retail) was installed on your computer, you need to determine that if you can. Did you buy the computer from a bricks and mortar retailer, An online retailer, or a private party? I have bought and sold computer through Craig's list from/to guys in shopping centers, and I have no idea how to get in touch with them again.

Thanks
    You have a legitimate license and copy of Win7. It should work. The COA key (in battery compartment?) was put there just for your type of problem to get your purchase back up and running.
    That is another place I will check for a COA! MS returned my call and then disconnected before I got a real person!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.