Star Lounger
    Thanks

? about win 10 clean install

If I upgrade Win 7 to Win 10 retaining my data and settings, run Win 10 for a couple of months and then decide to go ahead and use the Win 10 .iso to do a "clean install", will I have to search out drivers for the PC and all hardware? (Lenovo desktop)
    Ed

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Maybe. But do you think it will be necessary to do a clean install? If the system is running well just leave it alone. If it is not running so well post back and spend some time trying to track down the issue before a clean install. A clean install will not get to the root of a problem.

Joe

Thanks
    Will I have to search out drivers for the PC and all hardware?
    If you're doing a true clean install, yes, you will have to get drivers.
    So do so in advance and not just when the clean install is done.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Maybe. But do you think it will be necessary to do a clean install? If the system is running well just leave it alone. If it is not running so well post back and spend some time trying to track down the issue before a clean install. A clean install will not get to the root of a problem.

Joe
    What Joe said! Absolutely. Rebuilding an OS or a computer is a last resort affair when something has gone, really, seriously awry. As Joe said, it is not something one just does casually or just for the heck of it w/out a very good reason. It's a safety net not, some standard procedure every couple of months.

And if done one might need drivers but, likely Win10 will find them itself. It's pretty smart & capable in that regard.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Y View Post
    "clean install", will I have to search out drivers for the PC and all hardware? (Lenovo desktop)
    I assume no [I haven't installed Win10 yet]. All versions of Windows for at least 20 years have come with a boatload of drivers, therefore I'm assuming Win10 does too, so most of your basic or standard hardware should work. If it's like Win7 clean installs, then it should be easy.

Old hardware might not work, eg scanners and printers, but that's usually a case of the hardware maker choosing not to issue drivers for more recent OSs. For other 'premium' hardware, you will probably want to download the Win10 driver from the manufacturer--eg a fancy mouse, separate graphics or sound card, etc. It would be a good idea to check the manufacturer's site for such hardware, to make sure they have a Win10 driver available--if they don't, you might want to postpone your clean install if you don't find comforting answers on the manufacturer's forums or FAQ.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    A clean install will not get to the root of a problem.
    Are you implying that the Win10 upgrade [not clean] install process will get rid of all/most of the accumulated junk of say a 5yo Win7 system? My expectation is it would merely add the Win10 components, incl overwriting common parts. Not even look for all the residual junk and bloat.

Thanks
    It will clean up some things. I upgraded my laptop and coming out of sleep is now trouble free. In Windows 8 I kept getting a message that the video driver would had to restart and I also had to restart Windows Live Mail. Now none of that happens.

Jerry