Thanks

Old 8.1 Refresh.Wim using space

So am I correct in thinking that my WIN8.1 Refresh files I created are not suitable and should not be kept now that I am running WIN10 . I'm running a 128 GB SSD and would like to regain the space. I wonder how the Refresh does it thing with out this file. Also thinking I'm almost ready to clean Windows.Old files up as things are running good.
    Thanks Pete.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    As long as you have no intention of reverting to Win 8.1 you do not need them.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2015-08-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517,

I to would like to delete windows.old since I have no intention of returning to 8.1. I made an image of the 8.1 installation just before upgrade.

Can windows.old (17.5GB) be deleted with delete in file explorer or is there some procedure I should use. Concerned something might be pointing to windows.old. Off to a good start with W10 and don't want to screw it up.

Thanks - Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JLBCO View Post
    JoeP517,

I to would like to delete windows.old since I have no intention of returning to 8.1. I made an image of the 8.1 installation just before upgrade.

Can windows.old (17.5GB) be deleted with delete in file explorer or is there some procedure I should use. Concerned something might be pointing to windows.old. Off to a good start with W10 and don't want to screw it up.

Thanks - Jerry
    I read that it was best to delete it with disk clean up/system files...but Joe will know for sure.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JLBCO View Post
    JoeP517,

Thanks - Jerry
    https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
    CCleaner will do the trick, Its free and good to have on board, after downloading it open it and check Windows.old in the advanced settings at the bottom left.
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2015-08-08 at 18:31.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KIWIpeteW View Post
    CCleaner - Download
    CCleaner will do the trick, Its free and good to have on board, after downloading it open it and check Windows.old in the advanced settings at the bottom left.
    "Old Windows installation" in Ccleaner.

But Windows.old won't cause any problems while it's there, and Windows 10 will delete it after 30 days anyway:

Delete your previous version of Windows

One month after you upgrade to Windows 10, your previous version of Windows will be automatically deleted from your PC.

However, if you need to free up disk space, and you’re confident that your files and settings are where you want them to be in Windows 10, you can safely delete it yourself.
    Keep in mind that you'll be deleting your Windows.old folder, which contains files that give you the option to go back to your previous version of Windows.
    Deleting your previous version of Windows can’t be undone.
    1.Go to Start, enter Settings in the search box, and then select Settings.
    2.Select System > Storage > This PC and then scroll down the list and select Temporary files.
    3.Under Previous version of Windows, select Delete previous versions and then select Delete.

Help from Microsoft

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

wavy (2015-08-09)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all,

I took Trev's advice and used "Disk Cleanup" and machine still running fine. It freed up 22.5GB!

Thanks - Jerry