Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do you know Win 10 is downloading

Running Win 8.1. Signed up for upgrade and so far nothing. Is there a way to tell if it has started downloading?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Make sure 8.1 is updated and be patient. I am guessing you are attempting upgrade on laptop. MS is "rolling out" the upgrade and may not have gotten to you yet.
    If you are impatient you can download the ISO from MS https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10. Make sure you download correct version. Above all, before doing anything make a backup image of your drive!

Rich

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    Make sure 8.1 is updated and be patient. I am guessing you are attempting upgrade on laptop. MS is "rolling out" the upgrade and may not have gotten to you yet.
    If you are impatient you can download the ISO from MS https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10. Make sure you download correct version. Above all, before doing anything make a backup image of your drive!

Rich
    Thanks, automatic updates are on. I'm not in a rush but just wondered if there was a way you could tell that something is being downloaded in the background.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A little icon showing the percent completed shows up in the notification area. It just says that an update is being downloaded but you can tell it's Win10 update by how long it takes.

Thanks
    Just a warning: If you have the "Get Windows 10" icon on your desktop and have not yet had Win 10 downloaded via Windows Update, it is not (in all cases) a good idea to rush into getting the ISO. Microsoft is (in some cases) holding back on sending you your download because they are waiting for an update that will be compatible with your particular setup. I suspect that those who are reporting that updating of Windows using the "ISO route" failed, may be in this category.

See, for example the following Microsoft Comment, taken from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windo...serve_mod1_faq

"Why haven’t I gotten my upgrade notification yet?

We are rolling the upgrades out in phases to manage high demand and to make sure that your upgrade is right for your device. You might not have received a notification because we are working on a specific compatibility fix for your device, or it could be because of the overall volume of devices upgrading to Windows 10. Your upgrade notification will arrive when your device is ready to upgrade. You can check the status of your upgrade at any time in the Get Windows 10 app."
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to petesmst For This Useful Post:

jcgc50 (2015-08-07)