Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium Reflect Problems

Yesterday there was a power cut in Malta while a Macrium reflect backup was in progress, and unfortunately I was asleep at the time, otherwise my PSU would have given me enough time to cancel the backup and then shut down. Now I cannot load any of my image backups, all of which are on an external usb attached drive.

I tried to run chdsk on the external drive, which was dismounted for this, but was unsure whether or not it was running. The size of the external drive is 5.45 Terabytes.

How long would it take for chkdsk to complete on a drive of this size, and should I try running it again? Alternatively should I try uninstalling/reinstalling Macrium?

Advice would be appreciated.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A 5TB drive will take a long time to check, but a read only chkdsk should be relatively quick - it only reads the file index (MFT) data.
    Are you able to copy any of the files from the external disk?
    Can you make a small backup to an internal location to test Macrium?

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, I can't copy any of the files. When I double click any of the image files on the external disk Macrium pops up it's usual window but when I tick the usual 2 items and click OK nothing happens, i.e the image is not mounted. Also when I right click in any of the backup folders I don't get all of the usual context menu items, e.g. Copy and New Folder are not shown.

I made a backup of Contacts, but when I tried to open it nothing happened.

Apart from the above, since starting this thread the free space on my C drive has somehow shrunk from around 20 GB to 4 GB, and I can find no reason for this.

HELP!
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, I ran chkdsk on my C drive and no problems were found. I found the space hogging culprit, namely the size of the page file had increased to 23 GB. I have no idea how this happened, and have altered the page file size to 10000 MB. The SSD C drive capacity is 55.9 GB. What page file size would you recommend?

Apart from the above, after running chdsk I was able to open my backup of Contacts, and I was able to mount all of the images in my external backup drive. However, I could not make incremental backups of any of my disks. Macrium aborted all of them and said "none of the specified locations could be written to".

HELP!

Roy Whitethread

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A 10GB page file is fine for a machine with 8GB RAM. If you are using more than 6GB in normal use you need more RAM, not page file. My SSD is the same size as yours and I have no space issues.

Is the contacts backup on C: and can you make an incremental backup of it?
    Check the file permissions on a backup file on your external disk. Right click > Properties > Security.
    Can you copy a backup file from the external disk? Check permissions when it's done.
    Can you copy anything to the external disk using Explorer?
    Do you have a backup of the external drive or can you copy the most recent / important backups to another disk?

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, the contacts backup is not on C, it is on my external drive. I can now make incremental backups, but have only been able to do so since I clean booted.

The Properties windows for Macrium backups do not have a Security pane.

I can now copy backups from the external disk, but have not done so because the other disks have insufficient space, and I can copy to the external disk using Explorer. (I can't copy anything with TeraCopy, about which I have posted a separate thread in the Other Applications Forum).

I don't have a backup of the external drive and my other disks do not have enough space to copy backups to. I will have to buy another 6 TB external drive to do so.

Clean booting solved the problem, so I will now have to add individual items back to the Startup list in msconfig until I find out which one caused the problem, but how do I do this, because the only options shown are to enable or disable all. Advice on this point would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try MS Autoruns instead.

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, thanks-I did so and I believe Macrium is now working properly.

Regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What was the culprit?

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, I don't know. I ran the Tweaking.com Windows Repair program and let it apply all the 55 fixes it listed, (prior to which I used the program's registry backup option, to be on the safe side) after which Macrium Reflect worked normally.

Roy Whitethread

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In the future: With external drive plugged in go to the flag in the system tray and select "eject" the drive safely.

Unplug drive.

Plug back in and after the system checks the "new" drive it should work.

PS: Get a UPS that automatically shuts down after a period of time or backup power usage not to mention protects from brownouts, surges and not being there.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-08-12 at 23:06.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Fascist Nation, I always select eject the drive safely, and then unplug it when Windows gives the all clear.. I don't normally then plug it back in, but I will try that if I have another problem with it.

I do use a UPS, which is really essential in Malta, where power cuts are not uncommon.

Regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread