Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 update "successful" but laptop unuseable.

I updated my laptop (a Sony Vaio VPC CW2S1E/R) to Windows10 (from 8.1) yesterday. I started the process at about 18:30, and at about 20:00 it appeared to have installed without error messages and invited me to choose "let's go".
    I got to my usual lock screen, pressed a key talking me to the fancy new Windows 10 screen for entering the password, and it then took me to the desktop. (Oddly, perhaps, it was the desktop version - not the metro version or anything like it; no tiles, just icons for apps.) The screen flickered on and off, and the icons variously appeared as the proper icon, or just as document placeholder icons. The mouse moved the cursor - the rotating circle meaning busy (like the old hourglass). The only key combinations I tried that worked were Ctrl-Alt-Del (which then took me to a functional version of the task manager) and Windows-L (lower case L, to lock the screen - when it went to a stable lock screen, and allowed me to put my password in on pressing a key to bring up the jazzy Win10 password entry screen).
    After no change for 90 minutes I held down the power button until it turned off, and restarted it. Same logon; same busy cursor and unusable machine.
    So I left it overnight. 8 or so hours later no change. Same thing again when I rebooted.
    I thought I might try booting into safe mode to see if it will work. (My hope is that if I can get it to boot properly, whatever's stopping it from finalising the configuration - or whatever it's trying to do - might not be turned on, so it will be able to configure itself properly, and then work in normal mode.) Most of the options for starting in safe mode seem to require you to be able to tell the computer you want it to restart in safe mode, or to use a boot disc (which I don't have). I might try powering off (by holding the power key down until the laptop shuts down), restarting, and powering off straight away a few times - I gather if you do that a few times it will automatically boot into safe mode, or into some sort of rescue mode.

I'm at work now (the laptop's at home) but I'm thinking about what to try when I get home. (I've left the laptop running, hoping that it might get out of whatever loop it's stuck in - or whatever - and be working normally when I get home - but I don't expect it will sort itself out this way, I'm just hoping it might.)

Any suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Others have posted that Sony has recommended holding off upgrading as they are working on compatibility issues.

Joe

Thanks
    If you kill the boot 2 times you will get the recovery screen. Follow the instructions given here:
    http://www.7tutorials.com/4-ways-boo...ode-windows-10

Once in safe mode, run MSConfig.exe, click on the Startup Tab and disable all entries.
    Reboot and see if everything works. If so, enable things in groups until you find the culprits.

Sony is not recommending a Windows 10 upgrade until their Windows 10 drivers are available:
    http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/os10upgrade.pl

So the above procedure may not work. If you can run in Safe Mode, go to Settings > Update and Security > Roll back to Windows 8.1

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a successful upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, but my PC seems slower, and my a Windows 7 desktop appears on my new Windows desktop. The Win 10 desktop appears when I click the Start button. Is this as it should be?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CadillacDave View Post
    I had a successful upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, but my PC seems slower, and my a Windows 7 desktop appears on my new Windows desktop. The Win 10 desktop appears when I click the Start button. Is this as it should be?
    My upgrade brought everything to the desktop as it was before the upgrade from win 7 including the wallpaper. All is fine.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

CadillacDave (2015-08-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the reassurance. I was reading people having difficulties with the tile desktop, and wondered why?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    My upgrade brought everything to the desktop as it was before the upgrade from win 7 including the wallpaper. All is fine.
    If your system is still slow, adjusting the PageFile size helped me. this URL helped me http://www.rbrussell.com/2015/02/25/...ing-very-slow/

Also, in Task Manager, go to the StartUp tab and see what processes do not need to be Enabled. This will reduce background activity.

These helped me

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I realised that I could use Ctrl-Alt-Del, and from there I found the logoff/restart button. Right clicking on it, I got the menu that allowed me to choose the option where it reinstalled windows.

I've kept data, but will have to reinstall all the apps. Oh joy.