Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

All PC Users have the best Anti-Virus Program?

Like everything else all PC Users have the best Anti-Virus Program. Right? Although I have read many Web sites listing the " Top Ten Anti-Virus" Programs several times and also Individual Sites of say Kaspersky etc. which we know are biased of course they want to sell their stuff. For an average or below average user like myself the independent web site opinions like the " Top Ten " or the actual Program sites like Kaspersky etc., u have a million opinions which are very confusing as to choosing one without real PC Knowledge. I had Kaspersky for 8 yrs on my Vista Home Premium PC when I didn't know a thing about PC's and didn't care and now have " Webroot " only because I bought a new PC with Win 8.1 last Dec. 2014 at Best Buy Store that now pushes Webroot, and when I bought my first PC they pushed Kaspersky. I guess like which athlete wears a companys tennis shoes??? So, I inquired about Webroot from the sales guy and the Manager they both use it so that's what I got. My PC runs fantastic. No problems and get a optimization with the Online Best Buy Geek Squad Remote Session if I need it for $100 bucks a year and it is fantastic. Anyway, sorry to make this long, but I put my sister on my second of three PC's I am allowed with my Webroot and her daughters husband is very knowledgeable about how to fix and work on a PC. He says better than Geek Squad and worked on her PC for the first time the other night and told her that " Webroot" isn't even an Anti-Virus " Program but didn't tell her what it is lol. And he installed " Avira " which he uses on hers and took off her Webroot. Now in browsing just yesterday on one of the sites from " PC World" Webroot was named second or third best Anti-Virus by PC Magazine with a decently written article by a knowledgeable guy. Forget who now. I believe PC Magazine is a reputable Magazine if I am not mistaken. But, I have to say that, Kaspersky, McAfee, and a couple others are mentioned more on Independent websites than Webroot. I have seen Webroot on many Websites Listed as an " Anti-Virus " Program. I would appreciate opinions here on what I have written about Webroot and what sis's daughters husband says about Webroot and did by changing it to Avira and also opinions on all and the best Anti-Virus Programs u Users out there know about and use. Thanks and sorry for the length but thought I needed to explain a bit.
    drdoo2 / Pat

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Pat,

As you say "all PC Users have the best Anti-Virus Program" it's between their ears!

That said, my preference {YMMV} is Windows Defender (bundled w/Windows) and Malwarebytes Premium, both running active, they play nicely together. Also, Microsoft EMET 5.2. I also use browser addons with Firefox browser to keep the junk at bay (Web Of Trust - Link scanner, uBlock - Add blocker, NoScript - JavaScript blocker, Flash Block - Flash Blocker, Disconnect - link blocker, Privacy Badger & HTTPS Everywhere).

Occasionally I also run Windows Defender Offline, and several of the online scanners and Root-kit detectors.

And last but certainly not least a regular regimen of multi-generation image backups using Macrium Reflect Premium.

As you can see it's a multi-layered approach and I've been totally virus free for decades! HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As you start off by saying ĎLike everything else all PC Users have the best Anti-Virus Programs, right?', Iím not really sure what youíre asking of us here. Sure, ask half a dozen people and you may well get half a dozen different answers, but that doesnít mean theyíll all be equally valid.

Sometime ago I responded to someone on a forum who was adamant that a bogus maleware program theyíd be daft enough to pay $80 a year for was the best thing since sliced bread. It was not until I pointed out that the Ďvirusesí it was finding were bogus, and went on to give links to various court cases against the crooks, that they started to falter in their confidence of how world beating the bogus product was.

All I can say is that over the last 15 years Iíve worked on hundreds of computers, with many A/V products on them, so I think I have a few clues about whatís good and whatís not so good.

My own prejudices:

On domestic systems, if I see Norton, McAfee, Panda or AVG, I suggest getting rid of them simply because of the amount of complications I have seen them introduce. Iíve personally used all of them, but no more.

I recently trialled Avira but was not particularly impressed Ė but hey, it's well rated by others so perhaps itís just me. Similarly, other Ďalso ransí such as Webroot Ė sorry guys, but there are three copies of Webroot still in their wrappers in my junk software box. Why would anybody pay for something that is noticeably inferior to free AV? (So, OK, I have no idea why I keep junk software Ė letís just say Iím a hoarder and itís all down to my deprived childhood in the aftermath of WW2!)

Kaspersky regularly tops the kill rate in the AV ratings, and Iíve seen it on lots of machines, but I personally find it very heavy handed, with it often intervening to block legitimate actions. If being bossed about is your thing, then fine.

Avast usually comes a close second to Kaspersky in the kill rate stakes and it has the advantage that all of the annoying added components (which many software writers now inflict on us) can easily be turned off with a bit of tweaking. Iím going to go out on a limb here and say that, with the exception of Kaspersky, I see fewer viruses and maleware slipping onto systems with Avast installed than I do with any other brand of AV, paid for or not. The free version of Avast will do fine for most domestic users.

So there you are. The next person to post will be able to blow my own prejudices out of the water and explain why their experience gives rise to their own, superior prejudices. You pays your money (unless you choose the free version) and you makes your choice.

Cheers, Chris
    Remember rule #1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall UK, for the last 15 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components
    and 16k RAM was considered extravagant!

Thanks
    The vast majority of 'top ten' anything sites are just out there to make money - disregard them completely.

The best AV (group of security packages) is the one that you can set up, tweak and then (mostly) forget; for the AV side, I keep going back to Avast Free but I do strip it down to the parts I need to avoid the complexity of too many crossovers with the other security I deploy.

I use W7x64 and the default firewall, Pale Moon x64 as my browser (doesn't need EMET as most of those protections are baked in), a big hosts file (hpHosts/MVPS/Peter Lowe's ad servers list) setup and kept updated daily with HostsMan (DNS Client Service disabled); MBAM Free and MBAE Free, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Free and my router uses OpenDNS.

In the browser, I use uBlock Origin (I disable the overlap from my hosts file above) 3rd party cookies from sites not visited are disabled, DNS prefetch is disabled. PDF viewing is off by default. I use Flash ESR (though that might change with the imminent major version update due very soon) for better stability over the mainstream consumer version.

PDFs are viewed in Sumatra PDF viewer.

No Java/Shockwave Player/AIR installed.

TaskMan is the first program I open after boot and the full range of Sysinternals and Nirsoft tools are never more than a few clicks away (WSCC).

I'm sure to have missed a few items/tweaks, etc.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I think it pays to know what technology your AV uses. Is it based on sigs only? How will it handle zero day threats? What type of technology is used, if any, to detect threats for which there are no signatures? Finally, how does it fare in comparatives, based on trustful sources?

It is also relevant to know that if you think your AV will save you from all the threats, you may find yourself to be wrong. Try getting more than one live security it, considering and AV and a reputable product such as Malwarebytes or a decent HIPS product.

Finally, regardless of what you use, behave as if you had no protection. Be wise, be sensible and that may be the best protection you can get.

Oh yes, and backup, backup, backup, possibly keeping more than one copy of relevant files and documents and keep onsite and offsite backups.

If you do all if this, even if disaster strikes, you can get back up rather quickly. All these layers of protection are the best you can do than rely on a "best" product, which can be quite an impossible concept to materialize in a way to satisfy whoever may be asking.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Geek. U know Woody said in his 8.1 Dummies book that Windows Defender, and Firewall are as good as any out there. I have Ad Blocker, No Script which is great and Ghostery that Woody says he uses. 8.1 book also. I have a Surf Easy VPN but don't really know if they do anything or even work. I have no evidence of that or opinions from people. The other things u have I have never even heard of lol but would love to know about so I will take them out of ur response and look them up. If I can't find them on a Web Site the way u have them listed could u possibly give me a link? Only if u have time pls. I don't like to bug. I use Firefox also. Thanks a bunch Geek ur always helpful.

drdoo2 / Pat

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Geek. Sorry, to bother u again. If u know anything or have an opinion on Webroot would u give it to me good or bad pls. Thanks.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow. Satrow. U are lightyears ahead of me lol. I have never heard of anything u have listed. Seriously. I don't expect u to explain all that but I will look on Firefox to see if I can find out about some of these things and learn. I also use No Script and Ghostery as Woody says he uses in his Win Dummy 8.1 Book I read. Adblocker and Surf Easy VPN but not sure about VPN'ns. Have a feeling I might be wasting my money there but don't really know. Do u have an opinion on Webroot at all Satrow. I would appreciate that.

drdoo2 / Pat / Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Pat,

As you say "all PC Users have the best Anti-Virus Program" it's between their ears!
    Bingo, I used to think it was 99% of the equation, now I think it's somewhere along the lines of 99.99%. I'd be pretty darn surprised if RG ever reported that something genuinely serious happened that his "belt and suspenders" approach caught and he had no clue or no idea that he'd done something "stupid" beforehand.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Chris I have seen ur responses before and I think u have replied to mine before??? Yes, in ur first paragraph u have what I meant about everyone has an opinion. U really tore up Webroot which I appreciate ur honesty. U are a very knowledgeable person light years ahead of me. I'm just an email, Messenger, Firefox browser when I need to learn about something usually, family pics etc. light stuff. I read Woody's Dummies 8.1 book, learned alot. I got No Script and Ghostery as he says he uses and I think both have helped keep my PC cleaner. I also have Surf Easy VPN which I don't know whether VPN's are worth it and Ad Blocker comes with that. So, at least I will look into Avast free. Thanks. Any more input on what I just wrote is appreciated Chris. Thanks.

drdoo2 / Pat

Thanks
    Webroot - and their staff - have changed quite a lot over the years. Back ~10 years ago, it was a pretty good piece of software, the staff were very good and responsive (I 'earned' a couple of free licenses by pointing out some issues to them during that time) and I was a regular user. Soon after, the staff/ownership changed and it slid into the background. ~3 years ago, some of the old crew returned and the software has improved again.

The current problem is that it isn't quite good enough, maybe it hasn't yet found the correct placement/slot, it feels like it's between categories and needs 'something else' to bring it into mainstream. It's still pretty good as a double-check/second opinion - but there are better for that as well.

I think they're also involved with Trusteer Rapport, another good software that doesn't quite cut it imo, too many conflicts with more mainstream products and drivers/filters.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ruirib, but u are way beyond me in Knowledge. I really don't know what u know. What is HIPS? If u wouldn't mind replying again I am asking for opinions on AV programs and what u might consider as good even two or three of them and especially what u think of Webroot. Thanks.
    drdoo2 / Pat

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok. Thanks for ur second reply Satrow. U understand and it looks like I need to research AV products on the Web, but I feel the best and true answers are really here as everyone else is out for themselves on the Web unless u feel u have a really Independent Site. Thanks.
    drdoo2 / Pat

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks fun but, do u have anything to say about my Post? Simply, do u have an opinion on Webroot? Truth won't hurt my feelings and what do u consider some good AV's out there? Thanks.
    drdoo2 / Pat

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This article may help and has links to various AV testing sites, which I use as the basis of my AV selection.
    http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...doing-its-job/

As far as Webroot is concerned, I would trust Satrow's judgement in post 11 above.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast