Thanks

Mobile Web Site?

I've noticed for sometime that Safeway's web site on my Surface RT was coming up with their m.safeway.com. Unfortunately that site was / is useless on my device. In order to visit Safeway I was pretty much forced to use my Windows 7 laptop with I.E. 11. I have updated that laptop to Windows 10. The Safeway site still comes up as it should, (www.safeway.com). Doesn't matter if I'm using Edge or I.E.
    This morning I went to www.recipes.com and was greeted in the Edge browser with m.recipes.com (See Screen Capture II), I then tried it in I.E. 11 and got the same result. I went out to my Surface RT and pulled up the site and it was as it should be (See Screen Capture). Why would this be happening? Do I need to clean something? I just deleted my cache and cookies the other day to get OverDrive back up and running.

All Recipe Capture II.JPG
    All Recipes Capture.JPG
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I would say it's just the coding of the websites that is determining that you are on a device that should get the mobile version. It's not a particularly good way to handle it, in web development terms, but that's a way many sites do it.

On the laptop, you can make IE show as desktop version. Click F12, to open dev tools, then choose emulation and tinker with the values of Document mode and / or browser profile. Start with choosing desktop profile and see how it goes. If it doesn't solve it, pick a few different combinations, including user agent string (pick one of the IE non phone or mobile versions) and see if t makes a difference.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    that's doable i'll give it a shot
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Would be good if had option to emulate x device Browser type. Multitask it into a different tab or something. Of course there are going to be different screen modes with different content,. So as far as computing goes I got to say and put this in the "whats up with this" column. Simuated,lacking or downright innsufficient features are going to make problems for web browsing,and the Browsers themselves. Just how interactive,standardized,compatable between the networked scenarios and the Browsers the browsing will be.
    Control along with the different networked portable devices.
    Last edited by Great Gravity; 2015-08-15 at 03:13. Reason: context flow