Thread: Moved OneDrive

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Moved OneDrive

Am running Windows 8.1 Pro.

Because I have Office 365, I have unlimited storage on OneDrive - so I figure why not use it.

OneDrive was on my smaller 256GB Solid State Drive & had nothing in it but my "Notebook" which was empty.

Before I added anything to OneDrive, I moved it my 3TB Hard Drive as D:\OneDrive
    That also had nothing in it but my "Notebook" which was empty.

Then I "copied" my "My Documents" folder & all of its contents to the D:\OneDrive & allowed OneDrive to "do it's thing"
    I did not want to just "move" My Documents because I wanted to make sure everything was working perfectly before I got rid of the My Documents folder.

I then told OneDrive to make all of My Documents "Available offline" so that it would keep the full copy of all of the files in My Documents.

But now, OneDrive shows up in 2 locations in File Explorer:
    Where it did originally
    AND At D:\OneDrive

The original location does show the location to be D:\OneDrive

Why does it still show up in 2 locations in File Explorer after I moved it to my D:\ Drive?

Is the original location just kept as a place holder to tell it that OneDrive is located elsewhere?

Also, when I look at the My Documents folder in both locations, the "Size" is 141 Mb, but the "Size on disk" is 143MB
    Why would there be a difference in those 2?

I understand that since I have made all of the My Documents files Available Offline, the full copy of all of the files will be on my D:\ Drive.
    I just assumed that the other location would be only a placeholder of those files & would take up much less space,

Thanks
    But now, OneDrive shows up in 2 locations in File Explorer:
    Where it did originally

This happened to me,Onedrive keep trying to install to my 128GB SSD C: Drive instead of my D drive so during the OneDrive install I changed the location to just "D: and ended up with 2 onedrive folders so I copied it all to another eternal hard drive "just incase" then deleted the older folder out of the two and its working fine.
    But now I realize that maybe if I had exited OneDrive and deleted the PC only OneDrive files and folder then reinstalled OneDrive back to D: Drive it would have been faster.
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2015-08-07 at 18:13.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Follow-Up to my Initial Post

I subsequently determined that the My Documents in OneDrive has 1180 Files & 499 Folders (both locations)

But, my old My Documents on my PC has 1510 Files & 499 Folders.

So, apparently something has not gotten to OneDrive
    It would be very tedious to try to figure out what did not get to OneDrive so I will forego that for the present time.
    Hopefully as I update some of those files, it may become apparent what did not get to OneDrive.

Point is though, I am sure glad I did not delete my original My Documents when I copied them to OneDrive.
    At least I can always scrap OneDrive altogether & go back to the Stone Age way of doing things.

Moral is that relying on OneDrive 100% may not be a good idea.

For at least some time, I will be saving all of my files both to OneDrive and to my old My Documents folder.
    Last edited by StevenXXXX; 2015-08-07 at 19:48.

Thanks
    Have a look and see if your main upload folder is showing up off line, that folder was missing from my laptop but showing up on line. It took me ages to sort this out and I sort of stumbled through it so cant help much more. Good luck I know it can be sorted as this must be happening to others that had OneDrive on D: Drive when upgrading to WIN10.
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2015-08-07 at 20:43.