3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Adobe Elements vs. Adobe Lightroom

Iíve been a long time user of Adobe Elements. I'm going to upgrade my five year old computer soon now that Windows 10 is out, and I'm considering whether or not to switch to something like Adobe Lightroom when I upgrade my photo editing software on my new machine. I donít use all of the functionality of Elements, so I see no sense in going all the way to Photoshop. I read lots of good things about Lightroom, so I'm interested in whether this is a good move. Elements seems to have a mediocre reputation.

Will my database and tags convert if I moved from AE to Lightroom?

What can I do in Elements that I canít do in Lightroom?

Is Lightroom intuitive and/or laid out like AE?

What other advantages does Lightroom have?

Other advice?

Thanks.

WSC3

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Lightroom and rely on it almost exclusively for photo editing. Lightroom primarily lets you change aspects of the photo globally, although there are more and more aspects of Photoshop in Lightroom to change selected areas. Selection and masking can't be done with Lightroom, and it doesn't do layers. On the other hand, you can change the image more quickly than using layers in AE. At the end of Scott Kelby's Photoshop for Lightroom Users, there's a list of things that you can do with Lightroom that most people think they need Photoshop for.

I find Lightroom "intuitive" after studying it extensively with the help of books and videos. I recommend Laura Shoe's videos. The Missing Lightroom FAQ has an introductory section that covers the basic procedures (and is available free as an eBook http://www.lightroomqueen.com/). Check out the eBook and see if you think Lightroom's for you.

Its interface is nothing like AE's.

Lightroom is a database; you can tag your photographs and search for them by keywords.

You can download a trial version from Adobe.

HTH

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Keffdoak For This Useful Post:

WSC3 (2015-08-11)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Keffdoak. Can you convert your AE database to the Lightroom one? (Tags and ratings are in there.)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oops. Found it on Adobe. You can do this.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/he...oshop_elements

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Lightroom is more for mass adjustment of photos whereas I think of Elements as a tool more for individual editing of photos so it depends on what you most do with photos I think. I think they are complementary programs that cannot replace each other but you may certainly be able to get along without one or the other.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

WSC3 (2015-08-11)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So Lightroom is for doing the same actions to a group of photos, whereas Elements is for working with a single image at a time?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, the strength of Lightroom is to make many adjustments like tone, color, contrast and such to multiple photos in short order. Elements has layers and more pixel distortion/manipulation tools designed for such things as object removal, cloning, background erasing and such and those types of edits are usually applied specifically to one photo at a time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

WSC3 (2015-08-11)