Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool One step forward, one step back and two steps forward...

My wife currently has a Win 7 laptop, and is in bad need of a new laptop. The one she picked out comes with Win 8.1
    She has backed up'd her laptop to an external drive. She currently has Office installed, and I can not locate all of the cd's to re-install it. My thoughts are...

1. Restore the win7 backup to the new laptop
    2. Upgrade to Win 10..

I would appreciate any thoughts, directions, and gotcha's..

Thanxx in advance..
    Peter

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you got the product key for Office?

If so, you could download a copy of Office and install on the new PC before upgrading to Windows 10.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    She currently has Office installed, and I can not locate all of the cd's to re-install it
    Which version of Office? Office 2003 and earlier typically came on one CD with a separate disc containing BCM/Business Contact Manager included with some versions. My Office 2007 Home and Student is on 1 CD, less than 350MB size. There is a note on the case to download it from www.getmicrosoftoffice.com as long as one had the Product Key, maybe possible with her version.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Check out EaseUS Todo PCTrans. This appears to be another competitor for LapLink PCmover, but it will let you transfer two programs free of charge.

I haven't tried it myself so look (and backup) before you leap, but you should be able to transfer Office from the old computer to the new for free.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

schwenzerp (2015-08-17)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many Thanxx to all that have replied. I finally found the correct cd with the license key on it. I always put the key on the cd itself, in case I lose the envelope...
    Thanxx again...