Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Not enough memory despite upgrading with micro SD card

I have an inexpensive (but new) HP laptop. It has a 2GB solid state drive, which is fine for Web browsing, which is all I do with it. It's light (plastic case) and needs no fan, which is a plus. It came with Windows 8.1 installed.

The get Windows 10 app says it is OK for upgrading to Windows 10. At some point in the upgrade process the installer says there's not enough memory.

I plugged in a 16 GB micro SD card, which is recognized by Windows and shows up as drive D. I formatted it as NTFS. When the Windows 10 installer asks for space, I select D: from the drop-down menu.

Nevertheless, I can't upgrade. After downloading the installation files for Windows 10, the installer says something needs my attention. It says "preparing for update" and then says "Windows needs more space." One option is "Choose another drive or attach an external drive with 9 GB available." I choose drive D.

The installer runs some more ("Preparing for installation") and eventually gives me the error message: "Install the external storage media and press OK." Well, it already is inserted. Pressing OK just makes the error message pop up again. Clicking Cancel aborts the install altogether.

Argh!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It has a 2GB solid state drive
    That's not even big enough to install Windows on, must be considerably larger such as maybe 32GB, 64GB as used in Tablets or maybe 120GB for a small Notebook/Netbook. I Upgraded a Dell Venue 8 Tablet with a 32GB main drive a couple days ago but had added a 32GB MicroXD card for additional storage. When I got the message you got about needed 8GB more storage I simply used the choice offered to use that added card. Worked fine but Win10 left behind a 'temp' folder on the card of a bit over 12GB. Now I just need to work on getting rid of that. As for the prompt, there was a box with a down arrow to change the location/drive.

Thanks
    Are you sure that's not the memory instead of the drive size?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You're right, that's the amount of memory.

The disk size, looking at properties of the C: drive, appears to be about 21 GB. I tried installation of Windows 10 again today with an external hard drive connected. "Installation" proceeded without any questions about needing more memory, all sorts of updates were installed, but I was left with a laptop running 8.1.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did the same thing, and got a temp file on the micro SD card

But the installation failed . . . Now the SD card is empty. Win 8.1 is OK for my use, but the touchpad is treated as a touch screen, so sometimes when I swipe to the left, I enter Tile Land or bring up the charms and time and date.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The internal disk is unlikely to be 21GB. Run Disk Management to view the actual size.
    Search, Disk Man, select "Create and format hard disk partitions".
    Start > Run, diskmgmt.msc

cheers, Paul