3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

System Image - recimg Vs System Image Backup thru File History

I used the Norton Imaging Software on my previous Desktop running XP Professional.

I never upgraded the Norton Imaging Software because I always felt that the Version I had purchased had better options than what the so called upgrades offered.

That Norton software served me well on that XP System.

Now I have a Windows 8.1 Pro Desktop System & was looking at the options for doing a System Image without having to use 3rd Party Software.
    NO, I am NOT cheap. Just trying to utilize what is already part of the Windows Software.

It appears that I can do a total System Image using either the recimg.exe tool or The System Image Backup in File History.

What are the Pros & Cons of each method / Why would 1 method be better than the other?

Or should I just ignore those 2 methods & go back to using 3rd Party Software to do my Total System Images?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I think people usually go with 3rd party images because they are used to them and they have always worked. Why would you back off from something you have always used and produced good results?

This said, there are many users who use the native imaging features and they work for them. 3rd party apps are not devoid of problems, but I would say the problems seem to be less frequent than problems with the native imaging tools. The native tools are also less featured than the 3rd party tools. I see only one advantage of the Windows based imaging - the files created can be used to boot the system from them, without the need to restore them, which is a nice, albeit work heavy feature.

Recimage is used with the refresh Windows option. The system image backup takes a full image and will be usable even in situations where Windows cannot boot on its own.

I have used Acronis True Image for about 10 years. There is no reason to change. I like it, it has worked when I need it, never failed me. Others will say similar things from the apps they use (Macrium, Terabyte, others).
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenXXXX View Post
    I used the Norton Imaging Software on my previous Desktop running XP Professional.

I never upgraded the Norton Imaging Software because I always felt that the Version I had purchased had better options than what the so called upgrades offered.

That Norton software served me well on that XP System.

Now I have a Windows 8.1 Pro Desktop System & was looking at the options for doing a System Image without having to use 3rd Party Software.
    NO, I am NOT cheap. Just trying to utilize what is already part of the Windows Software.

It appears that I can do a total System Image using either the recimg.exe tool or The System Image Backup in File History.

What are the Pros & Cons of each method / Why would 1 method be better than the other?

Or should I just ignore those 2 methods & go back to using 3rd Party Software to do my Total System Images?
    I may be wrong as I am still finding my feet with windows but I did both,first I created a a Refresh.Wim by using "Recimg" in a Admin Command Prompt, then created a System Image. The recimg tool creates the Refresh.wim which is to Refresh your PC..If you are planning on upgrading to WIN10 the refresh.wim can not be used as WIN10 loses the recimg tool. So to answer your question a System Image is properly better. I use Macrium Free as windows System Image wont work for me. File history is good to have tucked away on a external drive for extra copies of photos and files etc but not for a back up image. Also important is to a Create Rescue Media on another usb incase you are unable to boot your PC. Its very easy with Macrium Free.
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2015-08-07 at 17:48.