Thanks

Piece of Cake...

... relatively speaking, that is. As I posted here, I temporarily deleted a partition (I have drive images of it) so I could expand my Windows 7 partition, got it up to 159GB, then copied my Program Files folders into it, did all the requisite registry editing to bring everything back into the fold. I checked my Windows Activation, and Windows 7 Ultimate was indeed valid and activated from that perspective, so I'm good with that.

I launched the Windows 10 Upgrade from the USB stick I made with the Media Creation Download Tool. There were no hiccups, no problems, no error codes. Just the usual "This may take a few minutes" and such. After the upgrade finalized my Admin account settings, I made that my MS account, then signed out and signed into my Standard user account and got all of those settings finalized. I've disabled Home Group, and my network is intact, NAS and all, at least in this account. I still need to check that in the Admin account.

I didn't bother to time it, but it seemed rather typical of a Windows Upgrade experience. The only clean install I've done traversing the Windows-verse was from XP to Windows 7 (since I had skipped Vista, there was no direct upgrade path). I've still got lots of programs, utilities and such to check out to see if they're working as usual, but it's been painless so far.

And as a result of that (and all that stuff from the other thread), I now have a clear Windows 10 Full Package Retail Product Key I can use at my discretion. If I decide to do another build sometime down the road, I've already got the OS for it.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-08-08 at 08:18.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    After an extended cleanmgr.exe and defrag, I've made drive images of my Windows 10 partition, my MS-supported-relocated Users' folders partition and my Program Files partition. Now I'm going through the registry editing my programs, utilities, etc. to point to the other Program Files partition instead of C:\Program Files, launching them to make sure they work, then deleting the C:\Program Files folder and launching them again, to make sure they are actually launching from the other partition.

So far, so good. All the requisite files are duplicated in both partitions (from reconstructing Windows 7), so editing the registry to change paths works quite well. After I've gone through all my installed Program Files (and (x86) installations successfully, I'll be able to reduce the size of my Windows 10 partition back to 60GB, restore the partition I temporarily deleted to expand the Windows partition, and be pretty much back to my original Windows 7 Ultimate setup, only in a MS supported environment.

Another pleasant surprise after upgrading Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro is that evidently MS has patched networking in Windows 10. My MS account can now access my home network fully, and not just the internet. I was hoping something like that would happen soon. Now if they can just do something with Edge...
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    BB you are truly a gluten for punishment, more power to yu!
    I am wondering what the down side of the windows 7 ultimate to Windows 10 Pro is? I know about Media center, have you lost anything else??
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    BB you are truly a gluten for punishment, more power to yu!
    I am wondering what the down side of the windows 7 ultimate to Windows 10 Pro is? I know about Media center, have you lost anything else??
    I dual boot on this machine with Windows 8.1 Pro, so I still have Media Center in that installation. Other than that, I haven't really noticed anything else so far, other than the issue with Money Plus Sunset, which is now fixed. My home network (I don't use Home Group) is working better in this "Keep Files and Settings" upgrade than it was in the previous "Keep Nothing" upgrade, and that may well be related to Windows 7 Ultimate leftovers, since enhanced networking capabilities was one of the advantages of 7 Ultimate.

There is a plus side to all this self-inflicted drudgery which is that I only have to do it once, and by keeping the OS partition at 60GB, I can create and validate byte-for-byte a drive image in 6 minutes, and restore such a drive image in under 3 minutes. The gain there is that it takes so little time, it's less likely to get put off "until later", keeping my drive images fresh. Similarly, my MS-supported relocated Users folders are on a 60GB partition also, with the same efficiency and propensity to create images more regularly. It's all about the data and keeping it safe, and making it simple to keep the OS clean without risking the data. If "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure", what is a pound of prevention worth? Almost priceless.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Similarly, my MS-supported relocated Users folders are on a 60GB partition also, with the same efficiency and propensity to create images more regularly. It's all about the data and keeping it safe, and making it simple to keep the OS clean without risking the data. If "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure", what is a pound of prevention worth? Almost priceless.
    I may try the relocated Users folders if I go w/ the MS scheme of things. It may make things easier.

A ounce of cure ??

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks

perhaps I spoke too soon...

Since I dual boot on this machine, Windows 10 is not critical. I've been taking my time, trying to get it set up the way I want it. Circumstances have led me to believe that Windows 10 Pro is not yet fully baked. I've made drive images along the way at what I consider plateaus in my setup, and I've had to step back a number of times now, to correct some errors. Some of them, admittedly, have been mine, but some have been Windows Updates pooching the installation when I'm in the midst of my piddlin'.

My latest was a sudden alert that Windows Firewall was turned off. The stuff I'd been working with on my latest plateau doesn't even access the internet, has no need of messing with network settings, etc. I got the firewall turned back on, but it wasn't using the recommended settings. It also couldn't be made to use the recommended settings. I ran sfc /scannow, which found and corrected errors (?), but still no go on the firewall.

So I did an image restore back to when the firewall was working normally, and have been rebuilding that plateau. I've done another extended Disk Cleanup, I'm currently defragging my Windows 10 partitions, and will create a fresh drive image of this re-achieved plateau (Office 2010 installed, Office and Windows fully updated) when that's complete.

BTW, using the MS supported relocation of Users folders works very well indeed. That's been the least of my hassles (each major folder has to be relocated individually).

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    ...I now have a clear Windows 10 Full Package Retail Product Key I can use at my discretion. If I decide to do another build sometime down the road, I've already got the OS for it.
    LOL, Windows 10 does not use a product key. It is connected to your hardware through your Microsoft Account.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    LOL, Windows 10 does not use a product key. It is connected to your hardware through your Microsoft Account.
    It does if you are using retail installation media.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    As Joe said,

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    It does if you are using retail installation media.
    Evidently, you missed this post of mine.
    Long story short, my Windows 7 Ultimate Product Key is now a blocked key. I have no idea when that happened; I have been updating it for about 5 years, including the WGA updates, and it has never failed. Of course, that makes the upgrade to Windows 10 possible as far as installation, but impossible as far as activation. There are some hacks out there that could work, but I like to keep legit, so I decided to forego those. I broke out my PayPal account and bought Windows 10 Pro from the Store for $199.

That simple transaction made my Windows 10 installation Genuine and Activated. Magic Jelly Beans Key Finder now reports the following (edited):

Windows 10 Pro
    Product Part No.: [TH]X19-9
    Installed from 'Full Packaged Product' media.
    Product ID: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx match to CD Key data
    CD Key: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
    Computer Name: XXXXXXXXX
    Registered Owner: Admin
    Registered Organization:

From an elevated Command Prompt, slmgr /dlv reports, among other things, "RETAIL channel". So I guess that makes my Windows 10 Pro a Retail Full Packaged Product installation.
    Yes, it is a unique key, not the TH1 10240 key. So yeah, using retail installation media, a Product Key is indeed required, just as if someone wants to upgrade from XP to Windows 10—there is no free upgrade from XP.

Of course, once activated, it will no doubt rely on the machine ID for activation in the case of a clean install, just as the free upgrade installations do.

Oh, and neither upgrade nor retail uses one's MS account. The license is tied to the machine, not the current owner of the machine. In that regard, it's just like the old licensing scheme—you could sell your OEM PC with installed Windows to another person, as long as you included the media (if any) in the sale. And in the case of retail full package, you could sell your OS/media separately after you uninstalled it from your PC.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I've completed my primary goal. My Windows 10 Upgrade is in a 60GB partition, the majority of my programs, utilities, etc. are in a separate 100GB partition on a different hard drive along with my Users folders in a 60GB partition. Ran system file checker on Windows and it was clean, ran extended Disk Cleanup and then defragged, and finally made fresh drive images of those partitions. These will be my fallback images if I should pooch Windows 10 beyond redemption.

There are a few programs still in C:\Program Files that I'll move with some registry editing, but I've gotten close to my original sliced and diced Windows installation and done it the MS supported way, so it shouldn't interfere with any Windows 10 future upgrades. There were a few hitches along the way, as I've mentioned, but as more Updates come through the OS seems to be getting more stable. I'm leaving Edge in the closet for now, made IE 11 my default browser. Edge is still too flaky for me. Overall I'm liking Windows 10 fairly well but 8.1 is the default in my dual boot.

Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    I followed a path like this to do a clean install of Win 10 Pro - purchased a key from MS. Downloaded the 32 bit and 64 bit combined ISO and burnt that to a blueray disc (at 5-6 GB it was a tad too big for a DVD). Works just fine and gives me options for the other machines in my home. The blueray disc boots from a USB BD drive into the installer just fine, ad asks me which system (32 or 64 bit) I want to install.

Thanks

Piece of Cake.

BB

I have been meaning to ask you, is that Crumb Cake or Double Chocolate??

Oh wait Florida that's gonna be Red Velvet Cake.

David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    BB

I have been meaning to ask you, is that Crumb Cake or Double Chocolate??

Oh wait Florida that's gonna be Red Velvet Cake.

Well, as it turned out, you could call it Crumb Cake, 'cause I had to keep picking up crumbs...

Unleash Windows