Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recommend new computer for Win10: What's out there?

I'm looking to upgrade my computer now that Windows 10 is out, and I prefer to configure my own machine, preferably from a major vendor. The last time I did this was around 2008 and I ended up with a Dell XPS. (It was upgraded to an Aurora by Dell when I had a lot of problems with my XPS in 2010. I quickly fell in love with Alienware.)

It seems that there are very few places that will allow you to do this with any real choices. Dell is useless. HP isnít much better. I want to be able to select the amount of memory and type of storage at a minimum. (512 SSD + 7,2000 4 TB drive or a pair of 2 TB, e.g.) The only thing close is Alienware, but the Area 51 weighs in at a whopping 65lbs. Wow!! And even they donít offer a Blu-ray burner anymore.

Any other options that I'm missing?

Thanks.

Thanks
    I went to a local PC technician who I had already had dealings with and felt was good. I specified what I wanted, 16Gb, SSD, Win 8.1 Pro, etc. etc. and he produced the box. So far I'm very pleased with it. I will upgrade to 10 before too much longer.

Of course you can specify 10 from the get go - no upgrades to worry about then (perhaps I should have waited a couple of months!).

Like you, I went through various sites, but didn't see how I could get what I wanted from them.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Build it yourself from components. As long as you choose reasonable kit it will be great, not to mention the satisfaction of a self build.
    See this Tom's article for a guide to systems - from $700 to $1700.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I thought about self build, but decided I didn't have the time - did I say I'm retired ? But it is certainly another option, and there seem to be plenty of guides on how to do it out there. Not to mention asking on this rather good lounge!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting ideas. I'm so not mechanical; far more of a software person than hardware, so a self-build wouldn't be my first option. On the other hand, I'm not seeing any other major producers being mentioned, which does seem a bit odd. Dell used to offer all sorts of build options. I think HP did too. I guess it's just not cost effective.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are there any other providers of reputation that will build PC's as Dell used to?

Thanks
    Most of us don't like
    major producers
    as you phrase it. It does have its advantages, one guy to blame when things go south. oops you are from VA did not mean anything derogatory by that. I am out of that loop but it's hard to believe the big boys don't offer that any more especially if you are in the Alienware price range Maybe the local VAR is a good bet,

ps and w/ a local you know where he lives
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you like Alienware and can't find a configuration you like you might have better luck calling them than trying to configure it online.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wavy: Yep, I may have to do that.

JoeP517: A call might be a good idea too. I usually do that anyway, esp. before I lay down any large amount of money on the final product.

BTW: On a second search, I did come across the HP Envy 750qe which is closer to what I want than I thought.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureV...654&quantity=1

I wonder how you tell if one of these models is the last one for the current year? The 750qe has potential, but maybe there's a newer model close to release, especially now that Win10 is out.....

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    There's always a newer model close to release!

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Not quite right Paul, there's always a new model just after you've bought the latest!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    From the Wall Street Journal today: "Dell gave me an early peek at its smokin’ new XPS 8900, a soon-to-be-launched top freestanding tower computer. It contains Intel ’s Core i7-6700K processor, one of the new chips awesomely code-named Skylake." http://www.wsj.com/articles/your-nex...top-1439316558

I've read less authoritatively that all the manufacturers are planning new fall releases due out soon.

The article is an interesting read. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    > awesomely code-named Skylake

What's awesome about that weird image of water held aloft? Will it rain on your parade? Maybe flood you out...

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think I'd hang slack on buying any Win 10 machine as for me, Win 10 is still a work in progress and I think MS have rushed its release by giving themselves a deadline for its release date.

As for their flagship browser Edge, I think MS have already said there will be an update to fix some problems that have been reported - they should have tested it more thoroughly themselves so that it didn't need a software update, but they seemed to have shot themselves in the foot with all of the hype on that.

There are tv ads on for Win 10 where it shows kids who'll no longer have to do what those with older systems have to because when they grow up, they will have Win 10 - hope it doesn't take them that long to get it right

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, i won't buy a new PC until they come with W10 already installed, and I want to give them a couple of months to work out some more kinks. I've read about Edge. I'll stick with Mozilla for now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast