Thanks

Any way to guarantee that the Windows 10 upgrade will NOT be offered?

For a charity I manage about 65 PCs in workgroups - not domain(s) - which have only fairly recently been converted to Windows 7 Pro. These all use the same Volume Licence Key.

Having read this article about domain-based PCs being forcibly upgraded to Window 10, I wonder whether there is any mechanism which would prevent this happening for my cohort of PCs? They are set to install offered Windows Updates automatically.

Recent versions of Internet Explorer had a registry setting which prevented the installation of the latest and greatest version of IE, so I wonder if anyone has come across such to prevent Windows 10 being installed.

Or am I being excessively paranoid?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Are you wearing your foil hat?

There are reported registry mods, but it usually includes removing kb3035583.
    http://serverfault.com/questions/695...ows-10-upgrade

This Technet article seems a bit more informative.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/charlesa_...ironments.aspx

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    @ Batcher

Somewhere I read about a registry hack to prevent the Win10 upgrade (try https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351 )

The hack involves going to (in regedit):

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUp date

If the "WindowsUpdate" key doesn't exist there then create it.

Under the "WindowsUpdate" key if there is a "DisableOSUpgrade" entry the DWORD value needs to be set to 1 (True). If there is no DWORD entry then create it and set the value to 1.

From further reading I suspect you might find a "EnableOSUpgrade" key at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUp date

If so then you probably would want to delete that (assuming you have backed up the registry of course).

I have applied the above "DisableOSUpgrade" hack to one of my Win7SP1 systems and a customer's Win7SP1 system so far but it is too soon to know whether it is effective.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-12-21)

Thanks
    Thanks, chaps - I'll work with these suggestions and see how it goes!
    BATcher

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What I've done is to change my WU settings to Check for but let me choose... - uninstalled KB3035583 and when it was presented again, I hid it as well as the Win 10 one and no more sign of the system tray icon or any updates for Win 10.

You can still find an entry for GWX in the registry when doing a search, but that is now benign.

Thanks
    Thanks, Sudo, but I need a more automated version for 65 PCs!
    BATcher

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Each machine would have to qualify within its own right for the upgrade as they are separate entities.

I don't think there would be a short cut to change all of their WU settings simultaneously, so it looks like rolled up sleeves time.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think you would "only" have to add DisableOSUpgrade = 1 at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\ WindowsUpdate on one computer, then export that key to a .reg file to be run on the remaining 64:

Computers that have this ... will never detect, download, or install an upgrade to the latest version of Windows.

How to manage Windows 10 notification and upgrade options (KB3080351)

Without remote group policy capability, I doubt whether there's any easier way.

EDIT: I didn't know that remote group policy is apparently possible with workgroups not on a domain:

Group Policy in a Workgroup Environment

So you could probably avoid the sneakernet aspect by using the new group policy object if the computers had KB3065987 installed last month.

But I'm not sure that would actually be much easier or quicker. I think for simplicity I would just run the .reg file on each computer.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-08-09 at 10:16.

Thanks
    I prefer REG ADD to a .REG file personally, because I find it easier to process REG ADD using PsExec in a BATch file.

I hate Group Policy because of the 'black hole' nature of its operation. You make a change which then disappears, and you have no idea when (if ever) it will be executed! (Yes, I know of GPUPDATE /FORCE)
    BATcher

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    GP is not really a black hole, it's just complex. The easiest test is PSexec to a PC and run GPresult.

cheers, Paul