4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Streaming Over Home Network

Can we stream our recorded TV shows (recorded with Windows Media Center) over the old Windows Home Networking or must we use Homegroup? Our gigabit dual-band router handles everything OK so no problem there.

Our computers are 2 x Windows 7 / 2 x Windows 8.1 / 1 x Windows 10. We're NOT running Windows XP on any of our Computers. Some, but not all, have Windows Media Center. (i might run XP in a virtual machine sometime but it won't need to share files or stream anything.)

Recently a clean reinstall of Windows 8.1 Pro was done on the "HomeGroup" PC (got a new SSD so wanted fresh install of OS.) After the reinstall i have not yet created a Homegroup. Our other computers have left the Homegroup so we're at square one, so to speak, for home networking. Before deciding whether to use Homegroup again or use good ol' Windows Home Networking i want to be sure what's needed to stream our recorded TV shows. Can you guys enlighten me, please?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Homegroup is just a way of connecting your computers to share files. It is not required for streaming, or any other network function.
    I don't know whether you can stream in WMC.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You can certainly play the recorded shows on other systems with WMC but I also do not know if one can stream from and with the originating WMC. If you want a media player or smart TV to steam them, they all have to be converted to a format that those devices understand in order to play them and the last time I did that, it was a two step process; first to get them into the old WMC format and then into a MP4 format.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Homegroup is just a way of connecting your computers to share files. It is not required for streaming, or any other network function.
    I don't know whether you can stream in WMC.

cheers, Paul
    OK, thanks. We discovered some time ago that WMC is convenient but not necessary. Convenient because if your home network is correctly set up you can configure WMC to look in a shared folder on another computer which contains stuff you want, i.e. recorded TV, music, photos, videos, etc. VLC media player and others can also access shared media, although not quite as elegantly as WMC.

What i was wondering about is this. i can set up/configure the older Windows Home Networking on all of our computers. But, i don't want to go through the steps on 4 PCs and a laptop only to discover that recorded TV shows won't play on the computers other than the one where the recording originates because of Digital Rights Management issues. Here's a case in point. The laptop had Windows 8.1 (not the Pro version) and lacked Windows Media Center. We installed XBMC (now called KODI, i think) on it. We could play most of our recorded TV shows except for those recorded on HBO. When we tried to access and play a recorded HBO program a message would appear saying that HBO restricted viewing of that content. So, we could only play HBO stuff on the living room computer where it was recorded. Therefore, i'm wondering if any similar restrictions apply to other (non-HBO) shows when trying to view them from a networked computer if that computer is not in a HomeGroup, you understand?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    DRM isn't an issue if the recording is in a non-DRM format. If it is you are stuck with the DRM player and license limitations.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    DRM isn't an issue if the recording is in a non-DRM format. If it is you are stuck with the DRM player and license limitations.

cheers, Paul
    How do i tell if the recording is in a DRM format?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can you play it with VLC?

cheers, Paul