New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation SSDs Locked, one remaining inaccessible

I have seen a thread on HDD being locked, with various bits of advice on how to deal with it.

I had a similar experience with two SSDs. After upgrading to Windows 10 Pro 64-bits (from an ISO downloaded from Microsoft), everything worked well. Until I decided to reboot, several hours later. My system wouldn't boot any more. After doing some research, I found that other users have had a similar experience and the reason would have been that the SSD was 'locked'. I noticed that even the BIOS could not see my disk (my boot drive) any more. Long story short, if even the BIOS cannot see the disk, there is no way of even running chkdsk or whatever. My solution has been to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 on a different disk. After having done so, the former boot disk, the SSD, became visible again. Even some user settings were restored, although it was a completely fresh installation on a different disk. They had probably been backed up through my Microsoft account.

I had first upgraded my laptop, just to see whether everything would go well. It did. I use(d) another SSD for my work-related files. I disconnected it from my desktop, put it in a case and connected to through a USB port on my laptop. I was able to finish my work and deliver it. Then, after I shut down my laptop, I reconnected the disk to my desk top, but now it couldn't be seen any more (by the BIOS). Connecting it back to the laptop, it couldn't be seen there any more either. Until today, it remains invisible.

Luckily, I had everything backed up, except for the last bit of work (because it was too recent). But then again, I had delivered before turning off my desktop. So, no big deal.

Anyway, it appears that it is very risky to upgrade to Windows 10, if you have SSDs installed. After upgrading, there is a false sense of security, because everything seems to work. But reboot, and you may be dead ...

Best regards,

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If a disk is invisible even from BIOS then it has most likely gone to god. You are looking at a coincidence rather than a W10 issue.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    If a disk is invisible even from BIOS then it has most likely gone to god. You are looking at a coincidence rather than a W10 issue.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks for your response. Of course, that cannot be excluded, but both disks were less than a year old.

I am just glad that I took all necessary precautions by consistently backing up.

Best regards,