Lounger
    Thanks

Best router location

Hi, I am moving into a two story home only 1700 sq. ft. I am going to transfer my Comcast internet to that location. I have a separate modem & router. Now my question is where is the best location for the router? Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Kiaville,

That depends!

Generally, you would want it as centrally located as possible for complete coverage. Keeping in mind that what is central depends on where you plan to use your computers. Also which frequencies you are using. If you are using 2.4GHz band (which penetrates walls well) centrally is good! If using the 5Ghz band then walls make a big difference and you have to plan differently as line of sight has a big impact here.

Basically, it's a guessing game unless you know the composition of the walls, etc. I'm sure this doesn't help too much but it does let you know what you have to think about. Of course there are always the home wiring extenders that can be used to cover dead spots. And if possible run good old cat 5e or 6 Ethernet cable as it is faster (1Gb) and more secure.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. That does help.

Lounger
    Thanks
    RG I was thinking of sitting it up on top of a kitchen cabinet which is about as central as I can get it. What do you think about the height? Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If the router is to service two floors then it is recommended to site it as high as possible - depending upon cable lengths available.

I don't know if you use inSSIDer3 which will show your signal strength and given that you are in a new location - a different set of local users that could cause you WiFi problems, especially if the router's channel setting is set to Auto.

When the program is started click on the Networks tab and that will show your SSID as well as others, although yours may not be the highlighted one, but clicking on it will give the better details in the right pane.

As the program is dynamic and if you have a laptop you can have a wander around which will help you to find the best locations in your new home.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

kiaville (2015-08-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Kiaville,

I second Sudo15's advice.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

kiaville (2015-08-09)

Thanks
    Of course if you put it on top of your cabinets you are likely already committed to running cable ..... But then every body is using tablets now. Being lazy I would start with the simplest solution that works put it by the demark where the line comes in..
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

kiaville (2015-08-09)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Sudo15 and RG: use a tool like inSSIDer if you have a laptop, or farproc's Wifi Analyzer if you have an Android smartphone (because inSSIDer for Android costs money and would be an unnecessary cost if you're only going to use it once or twice).

Note that you don't have to wait for Comcast to be installed before testing. You're only testing for wifi signal level so you don't even need that signal connected to the internet during testing. Just put your router in a test location, turn it on so it's wifi is broadcasting, but don't worry if it's not connected to Comcast just yet.

Then start the appropriate analyzer tool and use your laptop or smartphone to wander around the house, checking for signal level of the SSID the router is broadcasting. Sample the signal level with the router at various locations around the house.

Once you settle on your preferred location, then bring Comcast into that location and hook everything up for real.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

kiaville (2015-08-10),WS Subber (2015-08-14)